Subject: [Sridhar Bandi <[email-masked]>] kerberos in IPV6

From: Ken Raeburn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 13:54:11 -0500

I think I brought this issue up before, but now it seems we actually
have a conflict.  This person says some version of BSD uses 22 for
AF_INET6, and NetBSD at least uses 24.  (And Linux uses 10, so the
correlation is useless for programming except for apps specific to
whatever version of BSD.)

I suggest eliminating the BSD and AF_xxx reference in 7.1, or
modifying it to say that that's where we got some of the numbers from,
but the RFC is the canonical source.  (Besides, the current paragraph
is grammatically incorrect, probably due to a header file name in
angle brackets being discarded as an unrecognized HTML tag.)

Subject: kerberos in IPV6
From: Sridhar Bandi <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 22:01:16 +0530
List-Id: The Kerberos Authentication System Mailing List <kerberos.mit.edu>

Hi All ,
As per Kerberos RFC1510 section 8.2.1, the address type need to match
with the values of BSD standards. So as per BSD, AF_INET6 is 22.
Whereas as per latest draft
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-krb-wg-kerberos-clarifications-02.txt
section 7.1 the addrtype for IPV6 is 24.

If its different from BSD value 22 then will it have any
interoperability problems.

Thanks you all for your inputs

Regards,
Bandi

________________________________________________
Kerberos mailing list           [email-masked]
http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/kerberos

---

From: "Jacques A. Vidrine" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 11:10:27 -0600

> angle brackets being discarded as an unrecognized HTML tag.)

Yes, please.  AF_xxx values need not be (and are not) consistent
between platforms, as you noted --- Not even between BSD platforms
(e.g. NetBSD+OpenBSD=24, FreeBSD=28) though they share a common IPv6
implementation (KAME).

Just spell them out and be done with it.

(FWIW, I cannot find the section where BSD is referenced for this in
RFC1510 or in clarifications. *shrug*)

> Organization: SSO-IT, Hewlett-Packard Co.
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> 
> Hi All ,

Cheers,
-- 
Jacques A. Vidrine <[email-masked]>          http://www.celabo.org/
NTT/Verio SME          .     FreeBSD UNIX     .       Heimdal Kerberos
[email-masked]     .  [email-masked]  .          [email-masked]

---

From: "Jacques A. Vidrine" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 15:28:40 -0600

> RFC1510 or in clarifications. *shrug*)

Nevermind, I found it.  RFC 1510 line 4489; clarifications-02 line
4439.  I also suggest deleting the paragraph (I think Ken suggested it
earlier).

Cheers,