Subject: Problems with missing messages from IETF-KRB-WG

From: "Douglas E. Engert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 15:45:02 -0500

All the messages which are not making it to all of the people on the list
are from "Paul Leach" <[email-masked]>

Mailers  at hp.com (via compaq.com), microsoft.com, cisco.com and umich.edu
are all returning "This could indicate a mail loop." 

It would appear that the mailers at these sites are enforcing a hop count
of 15.  Paul's messages are adding 6 hops to get out of Mocrosoft, to ANL.

They may all be using one of the Microsoft Exchange which has a default hop
limit of 15, but it can be set higher. 

Some fixes are:

  (1) Up the hop count on the Exchange servers at hp.com, compaq.com, midrosoft.com,
      cisco.com and umich.com 

  (2) Ask Paul to send mail from an address which does not take 6 hops to
      get to the outside. 

  (3) Have the mailling list remove some of the "Received" lines to hide the
      route.   

(1) might be a good idea, as this will be come a much more serious problem
    as more and more sites start doing spam and virus scaning on outgoing and incomming
    mail. 

(2) is a simple fix if Paul has another mail account. 

(3) I will look at this, but it too is a temporary fix. 

-- 

 Douglas E. Engert  <[email-masked]>
 Argonne National Laboratory
 9700 South Cass Avenue
 Argonne, Illinois  60439 
 (630) 252-5444