Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-krb-wg-kerberos-referrals-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 15:39:29 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Kerberos WG Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Generating KDC Referrals to locate Kerberos realms
	Author(s)	: M. Swift, J. Brezak, J. Trostle
	Filename	: draft-ietf-krb-wg-kerberos-referrals-03.txt
	Pages		: 11
	Date		: 2004-2-16
	
The draft documents a new method for a Kerberos Key Distribution 
Center (KDC) to respond to client requests for kerberos tickets when 
the client does not have detailed configuration information on the 
realms of users or services. The KDC will handle requests for 
principals in other realms by returning either a referral error or a 
cross-realm TGT to another realm on the referral path. The clients 
will use this referral information to reach the realm of the target 
principal and then receive the ticket.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-krb-wg-kerberos-referrals-03.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-krb-wg-kerberos-referrals-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-krb-wg-kerberos-referrals-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Nicolas Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:07:51 -0600

> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-krb-wg-kerberos-referrals-03.txt

I've cursorily read this I-D.  Here's some comments:

 - The text assumes there's a "service realm name" ("srealm") in a KDC
   request -- not so, there's a single field of type Realm in a KDC
   request and it applies to both, the client principal name and the
   service principal name.

 - The text assumes that the realm ("srealm," as per the draft) field of
   a KDC-REQ body can be null or left out ("When using canonicalization,
   the client can omit the service realm name...").

   The realm field is NOT OPTIONAL and was never intended to hold a null
   name.

 - The text refers to KERB-ENCRYPTED-DATA -- presumably EncryptedData
   was intended.

 - Is there any pre-auth data in a x-realm TGT reply to a request, w/
   the "canonicalize" KDC option set, for a servive principal?

   How is the client to be assured that the KDC exchange has not been
   tampered with?

   PA-SERVER-REFERRAL-DATA protects the canonicalized service name but
   provides no binding to the requested name, unless we expect the KDC
   to set sname/srealm in the KDC-REP encpart to that requested by the
   client, but this is not clear from the text.

 - Nit: non-ASCII and/or non-spacing control characters are present in
   the draft.

Nico
--

---

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 19:37:38 -0500

On Monday, February 16, 2004 15:39:29 -0500 [email-masked] wrote:

> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
> directories. This draft is a work item of the Kerberos WG Working Group
> of the IETF.
>

Larry, will someone from Microsoft be able to talk about the status of this 
draft at the WG meeting?

-- Jeff