Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-cat-kerberos-pk-init-18.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 10:34:20 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Kerberos WG Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Public Key Cryptography for Initial Authentication in Kerberos
	Author(s)	: B. Tung, C. Neuman, M. Hur, A. Medvinsky, S. Medvinsky, J. Wray, J. Trostle
	Filename	: draft-ietf-cat-kerberos-pk-init-18.txt
	Pages		: 18
	Date		: 2004-2-17
	
This draft describes protocol extensions (hereafter called PKINIT)
to the Kerberos protocol specification (RFC 1510bis [1]).  These
extensions provide a method for integrating public key cryptography
into the initial authentication exchange, by passing cryptographic
certificates and associated authenticators in preauthentication data
fields.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-cat-kerberos-pk-init-18.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-cat-kerberos-pk-init-18.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-cat-kerberos-pk-init-18.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Love <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 20:37:20 +0100

[email-masked] writes:

> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
> directories.  This draft is a work item of the Kerberos WG Working Group
> of the IETF.

I'm quite certain I asked this last time (see
<[email-masked]> in krb-wg archive).

Why was TrustedCAs's issuerAndSerial changed from [2] to [1] (-16 -> -17)

I think it should keep its tag and the [1] field from -16 just dropped.

Love

---

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 15:14:53 -0500

> I think it should keep its tag and the [1] field from -16 just dropped.

You did say that before, and I don't see a reply in the archives.  Brian?

---

From: Brian Tung <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 12:24:20 -0800

> You did say that before, and I don't see a reply in the archives.  Brian?

Editorial oversight.  I've made the change, and it'll go in the next
submission.

Brian Tung <[email-masked]>

---

From: Love <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 19:29:47 +0100

> 	Title		: Public Key Cryptography for Initial Authentication in Kerberos

I spent two hours trying understand this version draft, below are my
comments so far.

Love

- TrustedCAs, make sure its compatible with -16 version.

- INTEGER usage ? should be uint32/int32 ?

- AnotherName is specified in RFC3280, drop

- Name is missing in IMPORT

- ValidationParms, isn't used (its part of DomainParameters)

- DomainParameters, isn't used but named, so I guess its ok to import
(but still pointless)

- EncryptionKey, PrincipalName, Realm, KerberosTime, Checksum, TypedData
should be IMPORTed from krb5 kerberos-clarifications.

- TypedData is named to TYPED-DATA in clarifications-05 AFAICT

- krb5 oid is defined in clarifications-05, but there it is named id-krb5

- General question; should there be a kerberos nonce type in clarifications
  and should it be used by 

-- OCSP comments

I can't match what the author of this section match to RFC2560.  For
example, ResponderID is part of the ocsp response not the request. And its
the OCSP responders id, why should a client ask for that ?

And before I read rfc2560, thinking that this text simply should be dropped.

"The changes proposed
in this section allow a client to request an OCSP response from the
KDC when using PKINIT."

What document is sited here ?
 "This is similar to the way that OCSP is handled in [cite]."

Reading rfc2560, I can only say that PA-PK-OCSP-RE{Q,P} should look like
below

"The KDC MAY refuse to relay requests for certificate(s) that isn't for it
own certificate, or any of it peer KDCs certificates, or any certificates
in the chain."

PA-PK-OCSP-REQ ::= SEQUENCE
	request		[0] OCSPRequest,
	...
}

PA-PK-OCSP-REP ::= SEQUENCE
	response	[0] OCSPResponse,
	...
}

---

From: Love <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 19:38:22 +0100

> PA-PK-OCSP-REQ ::= SEQUENCE

And thinking about this, the client needs to hint to the server that
certificates its trying to verify, dunno how to specify this in a good way.

Love