Subject: RE: Tom You has an alternate extensions proposal

From: "Liqiang(Larry) Zhu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 10:29:25 -0800

D. R. Evans wrote:
> I see now that this is listed only as a "perhaps" in the Boulder
minutes. 
> I know that I am getting old and my memory is failing, but I clearly 
> remember a much stronger agreement than that. Perhaps Sam and/or the
MS >
> attendees can either confirm or refute my meory....

Yes, we seemed to have reached this agreement at the Boulder meeting.

Larry

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of D. R. Evans
Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2004 9:42 AM
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Tom You has an alternate extensions proposal

Jeffrey Altman said the following at 03/03/2004 06:40 PM:-
> Love wrote:
> 
>> It was unclear that this was about reordering the structure of the 
>> document
>> so I just read it doing review of the ASN1 and not the structure of
the
>> document.
>>
>> The asn1 is really painful. Its just way too much new asn1 feature 
>> used. I
>> found it unclear from the boulder minuts that this was the way it 
>> going to
>> take. I'm not pleased and talked to Tom about it at last IETF.
>>
>> the proposeal to have to version (where one is expanded) I find
really 
>> bad,
>> just do one of them.
>>
>> Love
>>
> I find the updated ASN.1 conceptually much easier to
> understand.  If I was forced to choose one, it would
> be the one with the new ASN.1 features.
> 
> - Jeff

I agree with Love. I was under the strong impression from the Boulder 
meeting that at the very least there was agreement that there was going 
to be an Appendix or something that provided completely equivalent 
"old-style" ASN.1.

I see now that this is listed only as a "perhaps" in the Boulder 
minutes. I know that I am getting old and my memory is failing, but I 
clearly remember a much stronger agreement than that. Perhaps Sam and/or

the MS attendees can either confirm or refute my meory....

Requiring implementors to manually convert the new fancy ASN.1 (or, I 
suppose, to buy a compiler that can handle it properly, which I doubt 
that many would want to do) seems bound to lead to errors. Much better 
that the document include ASN.1 written in a style with which poeple 
have experience.

   Doc

-- 

-----------------------------------------------------------
Phone:  +1 303 494 0394
Mobile: +1 720 839 8462
Fax:    +1 781 240 0527
-----------------------------------------------------------