Subject: Re: Proposal to export gssapi context

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 23:18:58 -0500

Followups to [email-masked], please.

On Wednesday, March 10, 2004 11:47:01 -0600 Nicolas Williams 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 06:41:54PM +0100, Martin Rex wrote:
>> Could we please call anything in that direction an optional extension
>> to GSS-API that doesn't change the existing base spec in any way?
> [...]
>
> I think a KITTEN mailing list will likely be available soon.  We should
> move this discussion there then.

The mailing list Nico speaks of is now available.
The list submission address is <[email-masked]>
Subscribe at http://lists.central.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-kitten
Manual subscription requests to <[email-masked]>
Archives are at http://lists.central.org/pipermail/ietf-kitten/

> The immediate goal is to have a BoF at the 60th IETF on the creation of
> a new WG, KITTEN, child of CAT.  Some of us have a significant list of
> possible work items for the new WG.
>
> We should figure out whether there's enough interest in or work for such
> a WG, work on a charter, search for a chair and all that before we dive
> into specific proposals' technical details.

Just from the past few days, it's clear to me that we have enough interest 
to hold a BOF.  I agree that the next step should be to try to determine 
approximately what we think the scope of the proposed WG should be, and 
come up with a specific list of work items -- in other words, work on a 
proposed charter.  Once we have a better idea of these things, we can ask 
the security AD's for approval to hold a BOF in San Diego.

Approval for forming a working group and of the exact charter will be up to 
the IESG, likely based on the results of the BOF.  If a working group is 
formed, the responsible Area Directors will select a chair (I'll be happy 
to volunteer).

As noted above, please send followups to the new mailing list at 
<[email-masked]>.

-- Jeffrey T. Hutzelman (N3NHS) <[email-masked]>
   Sr. Research Systems Programmer
   School of Computer Science - Research Computing Facility
   Carnegie Mellon University - Pittsburgh, PA

---

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 08:27:20 -0500

>>>>> "Jeffrey" == Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]> writes:

    Jeffrey> Followups to [email-masked], please.  On
    Jeffrey> Wednesday, March 10, 2004 11:47:01 -0600 Nicolas Williams
    Jeffrey> <[email-masked]> wrote:

Why is a new mailing list needed or desirable?  It seems this only
serves to exclude people who are involved in the CAT working group.  I
believe there are no people who after careful consideration wish to be
on the CAT working group list and who are not interested in this BOF
proposal.