Subject: Kerberos trademark

From: Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 22:31:55 +0200

Clarification says:

   (*TM) Project Athena, Athena, and Kerberos are trademarks of the
   Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). No commercial use of
   these trademarks may be made without prior written permission of MIT.

I could not find the conditions for using the trademark reproduced on
the IPR disclosure page on <http://www.ietf.org/ipr/>, which I believe
RFC 3667 require.  What am I missing?

Thanks,
Simon

---

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 16:42:28 -0400

>>>>> "Simon" == Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]> writes:

    Simon> Clarification says: (*TM) Project Athena, Athena, and
    Simon> Kerberos are trademarks of the Massachusetts Institute of
    Simon> Technology (MIT). No commercial use of these trademarks may
    Simon> be made without prior written permission of MIT.

Well, section 3.6 only requests Contributors to make such a claim.  

However I'm not clear that trademark claims are allowed in the text of
an RFC.  If such claims are not allowed then the claim should be
removed from the RFC.

Nothing in this message should be interpreted to be a statement about
what rights MIT claims or about how claimed trademarks can be used.

---

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 14:25:06 -0400

> what rights MIT claims or about how claimed trademarks can be used.

Identification of trademarks used in the document is permitted, and will be 
preserved by the RFC Editor.  See RFC3667 Section 4.2(a)(D).  However, the 
usage restriction is inappropriate here; instead, MIT should make an IPR 
submission.  This could be as simple as a copy (unmodified) of the 
paragrapgh Simon quotes.

My reading of section 3.6 is that MIT is not specifically required to make 
such a submission.  However, I would encourage that action.