Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-cat-kerberos-pk-init-20.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 16:13:20 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Kerberos WG Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Public Key Cryptography for Initial Authentication in Kerberos
	Author(s)	: B. Tung, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-cat-kerberos-pk-init-20.txt
	Pages		: 0
	Date		: 2004-7-20
	
This draft describes protocol extensions (hereafter called PKINIT)
to the Kerberos protocol specification (RFC 1510bis [1]).  These
extensions provide a method for integrating public key cryptography
into the initial authentication exchange, by passing cryptographic
certificates and associated authenticators in preauthentication data
fields.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-cat-kerberos-pk-init-20.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-cat-kerberos-pk-init-20.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-cat-kerberos-pk-init-20.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Liqiang(Larry) Zhu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 09:15:38 -0700

Eric, to expedite the process, can you compile a laundry list of issues
that were raised on this list, and summarize how each issue was
addressed in -20. This will help Jeff/Doug make the decision if he can
start the last call.

Thanks, Larry

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Eric
Rosenfeld
Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2004 7:40 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-cat-kerberos-pk-init-20.txt

I'd like to thank Brian for getting pkinit-20 ready for the WG meeting
in August. In anticipation of the meeting, I'd like to confirm that,
subject to review of the latest draft, everyone believes that all issues
have been addressed except for caching of DH keys. Please respond to
this email if you believe there are other open issues.

Sam is working on some text for caching DH keys, and believes he can
send something to the WG by Monday, July 23rd.

Thanks,
Eric

Eric S. Rosenfeld
Project Director, PacketCable Security
CableLabs
858 Coal Creek Circle
Louisville, CO  80027-9750
Phone: 303-661-9100
Fax: 303-661-9199
Web: www.cablelabs.com
Email: [email-masked]
Direct Phone: 303-661-3841
Direct Fax: 303-664-8195

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2004 2:13 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-cat-kerberos-pk-init-20.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Kerberos WG Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Public Key Cryptography for Initial
Authentication in Kerberos
	Author(s)	: B. Tung, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-cat-kerberos-pk-init-20.txt
	Pages		: 0
	Date		: 2004-7-20

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-cat-kerberos-pk-init-20.t
xt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of
the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the
username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-cat-kerberos-pk-init-20.txt".

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail
readers

---

From: "Liqiang(Larry) Zhu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 03:08:16 -0700

by popular demand, I updated Nico's draft to include my text.  

Nico, can you review the changes, and let's submit it when the working
group reaches consensus on this issue.

Thanks,

Larry

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Nicolas
Williams
Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2004 11:45 AM
To: Sam Hartman
Cc: Jeffrey Hutzelman; Jeffrey Altman; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-cat-kerberos-pk-init-20.txt

On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 02:28:15PM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:
> >>>>> "Jeffrey" == Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>     Jeffrey> (2) Does anyone still believe OSCP tunneling must be
>     Jeffrey> defined as part of PKINIT in order to be useful?
> 
> I think I feel more comfortable with Larry's text than Nico's text 
> because I believe more people focused on Larry's text for review.  I 
> consider both texts acceptable though.  I see no reason Larry's text 
> couldn't be in its own draft.

Agreed.  For example, Larry's version uses SEQUENCE OF OCSP responses,
which can allow for the entire cert trust chain to be validated with the
help of OCSP.

But have you all noted the security consideration in my I-D?  Quoth:

3.  Security Considerations

   There is a downgrade attack against clients which want an OCSP
   response from the server for the server's certificate if the clients
   do not treat the absence of a valid OCSP response as an error.

This should not be a problem, and if it is then the OCSP messages must
be moved into the PKINIT pre-auth.

Cheers,

Nico
--