Subject: Pkinit issue: algorithm IDs for DH

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 16:55:37 -0400

Hi.  I'm working on specific text to add static-static DH to pkinit.
I ran across the following issue:

Section 3.1 of pkinit 20 says:

PKINIT uses the following algorithm identifiers [2] for encrypting
the reply key with the temporary key:

    des-ede3-cbc      (three-key 3DES, CBC mode)
        rc2-cbc                     (RC2, CBC mode)

This seems problematic for two reasons.  First, shouldn't we have an
OID for AES?  Second, is RC2 at all appropriate to use in a new
proposed standard?

As a side note, if I were doing this from scratch, I would have used
Kerberos EncryptedData rather than CMS for that part of the protocol.
I don't think making that change at this point in time is desirable.

--Sam

---

From: Love <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 08:42:35 +0200

> OID for AES?  Second, is RC2 at all appropriate to use in a new

This have been pointed out before.

> From: Love <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 10:48:54 +0200
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
[...]
> AES ? And really, should this section just be requirements on the CMS
> package, not listing of oid's ?

> I don't think making that change at this point in time is desirable.

encKeyPack is envelopedData ("pk encryption"), not (CMS)encryptedData.

Love

---

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 22:42:40 -0400

> This have been pointed out before.

Indeed it has, and there were no comments whatsoever.
This should show up in RT tomorrow.

In the meantime, can we have an answer?

-- Jeff

---

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 18:32:12 -0400

> This should show up in RT tomorrow.

It should have, but it didn't.  It's there now.
This is ticket #612 at https://rt.psg.com/

> In the meantime, can we have an answer?

Anyone???