Subject: PKINIT-20 comments: section 3.1.2 supportedCMSTypes

From: "Liqiang(Larry) Zhu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 10:00:04 -0700

With the supportedCMSTypes field in the AuthPack, I do not understand
why we need the following:

===================================================================
PKINIT defines the following encryption types, for use in the AS-REQ
message (to indicate acceptance of the corresponding encryption OIDs
in PKINIT):

    dsaWithSHA1-CmsOID                         9
    md5WithRSAEncryption-CmsOID               10
    sha1WithRSAEncryption-CmsOID              11
    rc2CBC-EnvOID                             12
    rsaEncryption-EnvOID   (PKCS1 v1.5)       13
    rsaES-OAEP-EnvOID      (PKCS1 v2.0)       14
    des-ede3-cbc-EnvOID                       15
===============================================================

-- Larry

---

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 13:05:47 -0400

>>>>> "Liqiang(Larry)" == Liqiang(Larry) Zhu <[email-masked]> writes:

    Liqiang(Larry)> With the supportedCMSTypes field in the AuthPack,
    Liqiang(Larry)> I do not understand why we need the following:

    Liqiang(Larry)> ===================================================================
    Liqiang(Larry)> PKINIT defines the following encryption types, for
    Liqiang(Larry)> use in the AS-REQ message (to indicate acceptance
    Liqiang(Larry)> of the corresponding encryption OIDs in PKINIT):

The goal of these enctypes was to reduce the work needed by Cable Labs
to change existing implementations.  It's something we agreed to in
Boulder.

--Sam