Subject: Kerberos to draft standard

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 21:35:00 -0500

Six months from the publication of crypto as an RFC (*) is the
earliest time we could take Kerberos to draft standard.  I'd like to
see Kerberos move to draft soon after that time.

That requires work on our part.  We'll need to put together
implementation reports to show that we have two interoperable
implementations of every feature in Kerberos.  We'll also need to do
the same for dependencies of Kerberos not already at draft, definitely
including AES and crypto.

That means we need to come up with a list of all the features in
Kerberos.  We should also start looking at features like directional
addresses that we may not be fully implementing and make sure we do
so.

Personally I think it would be great if people started working on this
effort.  A lot of the work necessary is work that anyone could do; you
don't need to be one of the people who has been authoring a document
so far to come up with a list of all the features of Kerberos we need
to test for the implementation report.

Is anyone willing to commit time to such a project?

(*) Technically it's six months from the protocol action in question.
However crypto is going to have modifications introduced into the rfc
in auth48 so I think it needs to be six months from the publication of the RFC.  My assumption is that Kerberos and AES are published in the next six months and that no additional  changes are introduced into Kerberos between now and publication.