Subject: RE: pk-init DH

From: "Liqiang(Larry) Zhu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 00:18:11 -0700

Love Hörnquist Åstrand wrote:
> * The DH octetstring2key function is missing test vectors.

This KDF is almost identical to the one provided in RFC3766, and RFC3766 does not care to provide test vectors. Perhaps it is too simple to need test vectors?

-- larry

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Love Hörnquist Åstrand
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 9:55 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: pk-init DH

* The DH octetstring2key function is missing test vectors.

* If the client sends n_c but the server doesn't support/want to reuse DH
  keys, will it be included in k = octetstring2key(DHSharedSecret | n_c |
  n_k) function ? As I read (the second) 4. in "3.2.3.1 Using
  Diffie-Hellman Key Exchange" I would say it wont be, please clarify.

Love

---

From: Love Hörnquist Åstrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 11:35:49 +0200

"Liqiang(Larry) Zhu" <[email-masked]> writes:

> This KDF is almost identical to the one provided in RFC3766, and RFC3766
> does not care to provide test vectors. Perhaps it is too simple to need
> test vectors?

Then it shouldn't be hard to produce test-vectors.

Love

---

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 22:31:19 -0400

> Then it shouldn't be hard to produce test-vectors.

At this point I don't see a consensus as to whether test vectors are 
required for this function.  Note that because it is implemented in terms 
of an enctype-specific function provided in RFC3961, there cannot be a set 
of generic enctype-independent test vectors.

I'd like to see more people comment on whether this is a requirement.  Of 
course, seeing some test vectors wouldn't hurt, either.

-- Jeff