Subject: RFC4121 truncation error: section 4.1.1, next-to-last para, last sentence is truncated

From: Nicolas Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 16:23:07 -0500

Section 4.1.1, next-to-last para, last sentence is truncated.

Ugh.

What was it supposed to say?  I think there was supposed to be text here
indicating that critical extensions to the "checksum data" require a new
reply token form that cannot be manipulated by attackers to look like
the original AP-REP token.

Nico
--

---

From: "Shawn M. Emery" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 16:01:38 -0600

> Section 4.1.1, next-to-last para, last sentence is truncated.

I'll correct this formatting error in the update.

Shawn.
--

---

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 18:45:30 -0400

> I'll correct this formatting error in the update.

No; you can't.  What you're supposed to be preparing is a new document 
which describes an extension to the existing protocol.  We're not 
"patching" or "amending" RFC4121, and your document will not describe 
textual changes to that one; it will describe the extension.  RFC4121 
itself will not change, ever.

What you could do, if it were necessary, would be to include a 
clarification.  However, that's not necessary in this case.  The paragraph 
is _not_ truncated; you just have to keep reading as if the blank line were 
not there and the next word were not capitalized.

-- Jeff

---

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 18:47:34 -0400

On Thursday, August 24, 2006 06:45:30 PM -0400 Jeffrey Hutzelman 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> which describes an extension to the existing protocol.

To clarify...  We _could_ publish a completely new document that is 
identical to RFC4121 except for Shawn's changes; such a document would 
"obsolete" RFC4121.  However, I don't think that's what we want to do in 
this case.

-- Jeff