Subject: [Ietf-krb-wg] WG Action: RECHARTER: Kerberos (krb-wg)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 15:15:01 -0400

The Kerberos (krb-wg) working group in the Security Area of the IETF 
has been rechartered. For additional information, please contact 
the Area Directors or the working group Chairs.

+++

Kerberos (krb-wg)
===================

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):
Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Larry Zhu <[email-masked]>

Security Area Director(s):
Tim Polk <[email-masked]>
Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>

Security Area Advisor
Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked]
In Body: subscribe ietf-krb-wg your_email_address
Archive: ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/krb-wg/

Description of Working Group:

Kerberos over the years has been ported to virtually every operating
system. There are at least two open source versions, with numerous
commercial versions based on these and other proprietary implementations.
Kerberos evolution has continued in recent years, with the development
of a new crypto framework, publication of a new version of the Kerberos
specification, support for initial authentication using public keys, and
numerous extensions developed in and out of the IETF.

However, wider deployment and advances in technology bring with them both
new challenges and new opportunities, particularly with regard to making
initial authentication of users to the Kerberos system both convenient
and secure. In addition, several key features remain undefined.

The Kerberos Working Group will continue to improve the core Kerberos
specification, develop extensions to address new needs and technologies
related to improving the process of client authentication, and produce
specifications for missing functionality.

Specifically, the Working Group will:

* Complete existing work:
- ECC for PKINIT (draft-zhu-pkinit-ecc-03.txt)
- Set/Change Password 
(draft-ietf-krb-wg-kerberos-set-passwd-05.txt)
- Naming Constraints (draft-ietf-krb-wg-naming-02.txt)
- Anonymity (draft-ietf-krb-wg-anon-03.txt)
- Hash agility for GSS-KRB5 
(draft-ietf-krb-wg-gss-cb-hash-agility-00.txt)
- Hash agility for PKINIT (draft-ietf-krb-wg-pkinit-alg-agility-01.txt)
- Referrals (draft-ietf-krb-wg-kerberos-referrals-08.txt)

* Prepare and advance a specification for an updated, backward-compatible
version of the Kerberos version 5 protocol which supports non-ASCII
principal and realm names, salt strings, and passwords; insures that
those portions of the protocol which are not encrypted are nonetheless
authenticated whenever possible; and enables future protocol revisions
and extensions.

* Develop extensions which reduce or eliminate exposure of Kerberos
clients' long-term keys to attack and enable the use of alternate
mechanisms for initial authentication. This task will comprise the
following items:
- A model and framework for preauthentication mechanisms
- A mechanism for providing a protected channel for carrying
preauthentication data and/or a reply key between a Kerberos
client and KDC, within the KDC_REQ/KDC_REP exchange.
- Support for One-Time Passwords
- Support for hardware authentication tokens
- Support for using TLS to secure communications with Kerberos KDCs.

* Examine issues related to the current cross-realm model, produce a
list of problems to be solved, and evaluate approaches to solving them.

* Develop extensions to Kerberos and a GSS-API mechanism (IAKERB) to
enable Kerberos clients to communicate with a KDC by using a GSS-API
acceptor as a proxy.

* Produce a data model for information needed by the KDC, and an LDAP
schema for management of that data.

Goals and Milestones:

--DONE-- TCP Extensibility to IESG
JUL 2007 ECC for PKINIT to IESG
JUL 2007 Set/Change Password to IESG

JUL 2007 Naming Constraints to IESG
JUL 2007 Anonymity to IESG
JUL 2007 Hash agility for GSS-KRB5 to IESG
JUL 2007 Hash agility for PKINIT to IESG

JUL 2007 WGLC on STARTTLS
JUL 2007 WGLC on Referrals

AUG 2007 WGLC on data model
AUG 2007 Choose direction for Kerberos v5.3

SEP 2007 WGLC on preauth framework
SEP 2007 WGLC on cross-realm issues

NOV 2007 WGLC on OTP
NOV 2007 WGLC on hardware preauth

MAR 2008 WGLC on Kerberos v5.3
MAR 2008 WGLC on IAKERB
MAR 2008 WGLC on LDAP schema
_______________________________________________
ietf-krb-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.anl.gov/mailman/listinfo/ietf-krb-wg