Subject: [Ietf-krb-wg] PROTO writeup of draft-zhu-pkinit-ecc-04.txt

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 13:43:16 -0500 (EST)

The following is a copy of the writeup I am sending to Sam and the IESG
along with a request to publish draft-zhu-pkinit-ecc-04.txt.

-- Jeff

(1.a)  Who is the Document Shepherd for this document?  Has the
       Document Shepherd personally reviewed this version of the
       document and, in particular, does he or she believe this
       version is ready for forwarding to the IESG for publication?

       >> The Document Shepard for this document is Jeffrey Hutzelman,
       >> <[email-masked]>.  I have reviewed this document, and I believe
       >> it is ready for IETF-wide review and publication as a
       >> Proposed Standard.

(1.b)  Has the document had adequate review both from key WG members
       and from key non-WG members?  Does the Document Shepherd have
       any concerns about the depth or breadth of the reviews that
       have been performed?

       >> This document has received review both within the working group
       >> and from key experts outside the working group.  Any issues raised
       >> have been resolved.

(1.c)  Does the Document Shepherd have concerns that the document
       needs more review from a particular or broader perspective,
       e.g., security, operational complexity, someone familiar with
       AAA, internationalization or XML?

       >> This document adds support for use of elliptic curve crypto to
       >> an existing protocol.  As such, it does require some review by
       >> individuals with expertise in that area.  I believe that there
       >> has been sufficient review, but of course, more is always welcome.

(1.d)  Does the Document Shepherd have any specific concerns or
       issues with this document that the Responsible Area Director
       and/or the IESG should be aware of?  For example, perhaps he
       or she is uncomfortable with certain parts of the document, or
       has concerns whether there really is a need for it.  In any
       event, if the WG has discussed those issues and has indicated
       that it still wishes to advance the document, detail those
       concerns here.  Has an IPR disclosure related to this document
       been filed?  If so, please include a reference to the
       disclosure and summarize the WG discussion and conclusion on
       this issue.

       >> I have no concerns.  This document is a fairly straightforward
       >> specification of an optional feature for PKINIT.  No IPR
       >> disclosures related to this document have been filed.

(1.e)  How solid is the WG consensus behind this document?  Does it
       represent the strong concurrence of a few individuals, with
       others being silent, or does the WG as a whole understand and
       agree with it?

       >> There is concensus within the working group to publish this
       >> document.  While there has not been broad interest in working
       >> on this document, there has been support from several active
       >> WG members, and there have been no objections to moving forward.

(1.f)  Has anyone threatened an appeal or otherwise indicated extreme
       discontent?  If so, please summarise the areas of conflict in
       separate email messages to the Responsible Area Director.  (It
       should be in a separate email because this questionnaire is
       entered into the ID Tracker.)

       >> There have been no expressions of discontent.

(1.g)  Has the Document Shepherd personally verified that the
       document satisfies all ID nits?  (See
       http://www.ietf.org/ID-Checklist.html and
       http://tools.ietf.org/tools/idnits/).  Boilerplate checks are
       not enough; this check needs to be thorough.  Has the document
       met all formal review criteria it needs to, such as the MIB
       Doctor, media type and URI type reviews?

       >> This document has been run through the idnits tool, and was
       >> reviewed manually for compliance with requirements not checked
       >> by the automatic tool.  No additional formal review criteria
       >> apply to this document.

(1.h)  Has the document split its references into normative and
       informative?  Are there normative references to documents that
       are not ready for advancement or are otherwise in an unclear
       state?  If such normative references exist, what is the
       strategy for their completion?  Are there normative references
       that are downward references, as described in [RFC3967]?  If
       so, list these downward references to support the Area
       Director in the Last Call procedure for them [RFC3967].

       >> References have been split appropriately.  There is presently
       >> a normative downreference to RFC 3278, an informational RFC
       >> specifying the use of elliptic curve cryptography (ECC) with
       >> the Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS).  This is a key reference,
       >> as PKINIT makes use of CMS messages, and the present document
       >> describes how to use PKINIT with ECC.

(1.i)  Has the Document Shepherd verified that the document IANA
       consideration section exists and is consistent with the body
       of the document?  If the document specifies protocol
       extensions, are reservations requested in appropriate IANA
       registries?  Are the IANA registries clearly identified?  If
       the document creates a new registry, does it define the
       proposed initial contents of the registry and an allocation
       procedure for future registrations?  Does it suggest a
       reasonable name for the new registry?  See [RFC2434].  If the
       document describes an Expert Review process has Shepherd
       conferred with the Responsible Area Director so that the IESG
       can appoint the needed Expert during the IESG Evaluation?

       >> This document requires no IANA actions.  It specifies
       >> protocol extensions to allow the use of new cryptographic
       >> algorithms, all of which are identified by OID's assigned
       >> elsewhere.

(1.j)  Has the Document Shepherd verified that sections of the
       document that are written in a formal language, such as XML
       code, BNF rules, MIB definitions, etc., validate correctly in
       an automated checker?

       >> No part of this document is written in a formal language
       >> requiring such verification.

(1.k)  The IESG approval announcement includes a Document
       Announcement Write-Up.  Please provide such a Document
       Announcement Write-Up?  Recent examples can be found in the
       "Action" announcements for approved documents.  The approval
       announcement contains the following sections:

Technical Summary

   This document describes the use of Elliptic Curve certificates,
   Elliptic Curve signature schemes and Elliptic Curve Diffie-Hellman
   (ECDH) key agreement within the framework of PKINIT - the Kerberos
   Version 5 extension that provides for the use of public key
   cryptography.

Working Group Summary

   This document represents the consensus of the Kerberos Working Group.

Document Quality

   This document describes an optional mode of operation for the
   PKINIT extension to the Kerberos protocol.  Several major Kerberos
   implementors currently support or plan to support PKINIT, and at
   least one has indicated an intent to support the mode of operation
   described in this document.

Personnel

   The Document Shepard for this document is Jeffrey Hutzelman.
   The responsible Area Director is Sam Hartman.

_______________________________________________
ietf-krb-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.anl.gov/mailman/listinfo/ietf-krb-wg