Subject: Re: [Ietf-krb-wg] set-passwd issues

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 13:19:07 -0500

Last week I sent Nico a summary of issues previously raised on set-passwd 
and the resolutions that had been reached so far.  The original discussion 
took place on this list some months ago, though I don't think anyone other 
than Nico and I spoke up.

Over the weekend Nico submitted a new version of the document.  Below I 
quote and reply to his message to me indicating which of the issues raised 
he had addressed.

--On Monday, November 03, 2008 02:21:19 AM -0600 Nicolas Williams 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>  5  CHECK   update RFC3066 ref -> RFC4646,4647; use matching from RFC4647\

Only partly; you updated the references but didn't replace the vague inline 
description of a matching algorithm with a requirement that the one defined 
in RFC4747 be used.

> 10  CHECK   what is 'languages' argument on change-pw?
> 11  CHECK   ditto for set-pw

I don't think so.  The bug I pointed out in the ASN.1 is fixed, but there's 
been no change to the descriptive text for these items, which still don't 
describe the languges argument in any detail.

> 16  CHECK   principalname should be a sequence?

Nope.  The text in question is still in -08, near the top of section 5:

   --
   -- [Perhaps PrincipalName should be a SEQUENCE of an optional name
   --  type and a UTF8String, for simplicity.]

> 15  OK      Refs in ASN.1 comment should not use main doc reference tags
>
> (15) I'm not sure I understand that one.  Can you clarify?

There are a few places where comments in the ASN.1 module refer to the main 
document's references.  These make sense as long as the module is read in 
the context of the document, but will be meaningless when someone pulls the 
module out to use it in their implementation.  I'm talking about things 
like this:

   -- All authorization-data types defined in [clarifications] are
   -- assumed to be supported if the minor version is 1 and do not need
   -- to be included in the ad-type list.

Without the main document's references section, no one not actually 
involved in its production will know that [clarifications] is RFC4120.  In 
fact, this doesn't work even _with_ the main document's references section, 
in which that reference is named [RFC4120], not [clarifications].

-- Jeff

_______________________________________________
ietf-krb-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.anl.gov/mailman/listinfo/ietf-krb-wg