Subject: [Ietf-krb-wg] FAST and ZK password proof + key exchange

From: Ken Raeburn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 19:25:18 -0500

In the jabber session today, J-PAKE came up.  I hadn't seen that one  
before, but had been thinking about whether the Socialist Millionaire  
Protocol might be adapted to work in Kerberos preauth.  The current  
preauth-framework draft mentions zero knowledge password proofs in  
passing in the introduction, and then never again.

My take on FAST at first glance (in a long time) is that it does the  
protection for a separately-specified FAST factor preauth scheme that  
may by itself not provide strong cryptographic protection, where the  
currently-defined armor types are based on a ticket acquired with a  
host key or anonymous PKINIT (with or without KDC cert validation).   
But some ZK protocols, like J-PAKE, give you not just proof of  
password agreement, and strong cryptographic protection, but a strong  
encryption key as well.

Does FAST really get you much, if you're doing a ZK password- 
authenticated key exchange?
Does ZKPP really get you much, if you're doing FAST with host keys or  
cert validation?

Ken

P.S.  From what I read quickly in the J-PAKE paper, the authors have  
not applied for a patent.  Is it known that, for example, the SPEKE  
patent does not apply?
_______________________________________________
ietf-krb-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.anl.gov/mailman/listinfo/ietf-krb-wg