Subject: [Ietf-krb-wg] Announce: spec effort for new key management protocol

From: Robin Cover <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 07:10:44 -0400 (EDT)

Of possible interest to members of the Kerberos Working Group:

   Key Management Interoperability Protocol (KMIP)

We are especially looking for representation on the new OASIS
Technical Committee from government agencies and academic
institutions; vendors are welcome as well.

Summary:  KMIP "establishes a single, comprehensive protocol for
communication between enterprise key management servers and
cryptographic clients. By defining a protocol that can be used
by any cryptographic client, ranging from a simple automated
electric meter to very complex disk-arrays, KMIP enables enterprise
key management servers to communicate via a single protocol to
all cryptographic clients supporting that protocol. Through
vendor support of KMIP, an enterprise will be able to consolidate
key management in a single enterprise key management system,
reducing operational and infrastructure costs while strengthening
operational controls and governance of security policy. KMIP
addresses the critical need for a comprehensive key management
protocol built into the information infrastructure, so that
enterprises can deploy effective unified key management for all
their encryption, certificate-based device authentication,
digital signature, and other cryptographic capabilities."

One goal in the "interoperability" spec design is to align KMIP
with ongoing standards efforts in IEEE P1619.3, IETF KEYPROV,
TGC KMSS, T10/T11, and other key management standards initiatives.

http://xml.coverpages.org/ni2009-02-27-a.html#kmip-spec-v098
http://xml.coverpages.org/keyManagement.html

- Robin (holder of no patents)

Robin Cover
OASIS, Director of Information Services
Editor, Cover Pages and XML Daily Newslink
Email: [email-masked]
Staff bio: http://www.oasis-open.org/who/staff.php#cover
Cover Pages: http://xml.coverpages.org/
Newsletter: http://xml.coverpages.org/newsletterArchive.html
Tel: +1 972-296-1783
_______________________________________________
ietf-krb-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.anl.gov/mailman/listinfo/ietf-krb-wg