Subject: [Ietf-krb-wg] New draft submission

From: Hasnaa Moustafa <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 15:25:44 +0200

Hi,

A new draft has been submitted on  (The Distributed Authentication Through
Kerberos Tickets: Problem statement and Requirements) :
draft-moustafa-krb-wg-ps-00.txt
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-moustafa-krb-wg-ps-00.txt

Please find the abstract of this draft and please do not hesitate to provide
comments.

----------------

Abstract:

This document presents the problem of authentication and authorization in
distributed environments constituted by several users communicating with
application servers and communicating with each others. Each user in this
environment can also play the role of an application provider.

Imagine a large music event where the provided network infrastructure is
enhanced with network storage equipment to allow visitors to access content
relating to the bands playing at the events, such as recorded video of
previous performances, supplementary audio and video material relevant to
the bands playing, etc. Certain content is, however, not necessarily
available to everyone under the same conditions. Instead access control is
applied before the full range of audio, and video material can be accessed.
Other content, such as previews, might be offered for free. How can such
authentication, and authorization infrastructure be made available with
minimal configuration complexity for a temporary event like a music
festival?

This document describes a problem statement based on the attempt to use
Kerberos and lists a couple of requirements for potentially needed Kerberos
extensions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kind regards,
Hassnaa
_______________________________________________
ietf-krb-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.anl.gov/mailman/listinfo/ietf-krb-wg

---

From: Tom Yu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 00:27:39 -0400

> Please find the abstract of this draft and please do not hesitate to provide

How much applicability do you believe the existing Kerberos user-to-user
authentication capability has to your use case (assuming that I correctly
interpret it to be a wide-range distributed peer-to-peer scenario)?
_______________________________________________
ietf-krb-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.anl.gov/mailman/listinfo/ietf-krb-wg

---

From: Hasnaa Moustafa <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 14:33:15 +0200

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your comment.

Indeed, we believe that Kerberos could be useful in distributed scenarios
thanks to the distributed nature of its credentials, where these credentials
would be also extended to support the dynamic nature of distributed
environments.

We believe that Kerberos could have a wide applicability in distributed
scenarios (with the several existing social networks applications, the more
and more interest in multimedia services and user generated content) for
several facts: the distributed nature of its credentials, the possibility to
deploy it on local servers, introducing the notion of trusted third party
which could allow the network operator to manage clients’ connectivities
which is a point difficult to achieve in distributed environments.

Kind regards,

Hassnaa