Subject: [Ietf-krb-wg] NIST SP 800-38A rev for ciphertext stealing

From: Tom Yu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 03:47:33 -0400

There's a public comment period open on the draft NIST publication
describing ciphertext stealing (see below).  I believe it accurately
describes the Kerberos variant of ciphertext stealing.  Would anyone
like to provide additional comments?  (Public comment period ends
Aug. 6.)

From: NIST Security Publications <[email-masked]>
Subject: NIST Computer Security Division Released Draft SP 800-38A Addendum
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 08:36:33 -0500

NIST announces a period of public comment on the *Draft Addendum to
NIST SP 800-38A* "Recommendation for Block Cipher Modes of Operation:
Three Variants of Ciphertext Stealing for CBC Mode". The draft
addendum specifies three variants of Cipher Block Chaining (CBC) mode
that accept any plaintext input whose bit length is greater than or
equal to the block size, whether or not the length is a multiple of
the block size. These variants are essentially padding methods for CBC
mode that do not expand the length of the plaintext. When padding bits
are needed in these variants, they are "stolen" from the penultimate
ciphertext block. The variants differ only in the ordering of some of
the ciphertext bits.
 
Comments may be submitted to [email-masked] by August 6, 2010. 

URL to document on the Drafts page on CSRC: 
http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/PubsDrafts.html#800-38A-addendum 

This is the same announcement that appears on the CSRC News page as
well as the Drafts page.
_______________________________________________
ietf-krb-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.anl.gov/mailman/listinfo/ietf-krb-wg