Subject: Re: [Ietf-krb-wg] Consensus Call - adopt draft-kanno-krbwg-camellia-ccm

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 11:45:11 -0400 (EDT)

> I'd like to hear comments on either or both questions from WG
> participants, by 23:59 UTC on Friday, September 3.

I support the working group adopting the draft as standards-track.  My
reasoning is:

  * It will provide a ready backup in case flaws are discovered in
    AES, SHA-1, or the authenticated encryption composition specified
    in the simplified profile.

  * It will provide us with experience in the use of AEAD modes with
    Kerberos, as well as the use of NIST-recommended algorithms for
    key derivation and checksums.

  * Although Camellia is thought of by some as a national cipher (like
    SEED or GOST 28147-89), it does have some level of international
    support; here I'm thinking in particular of the 2003 NESSIE
    recommendation, which included Camellia as one of four recommended
    block ciphers.

  * There is ample precedent for specifying the use of Camellia in
    standards-track IETF RFCs.

I do not at this time anticipate the proposed enctypes as becoming
mandatory-to-implement in any future revision of RFC 4120.  This would
be an "if you're going to do it, here's how" standard.
_______________________________________________
ietf-krb-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.anl.gov/mailman/listinfo/ietf-krb-wg