Subject: [Ietf-krb-wg] Interoperability and preauth registrations

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 23:00:58 -0400

Folks, I'm asking this question in my role as an IANA expert for the
pre-authentication type registry.

Quoting from the approved draft-ietf-krb-wg-preauth-framework:

   This document creates a registry for pre-authentication and typed
      data.  The registration procedures are as follows.  Expert review for
         pre-authentication mechanisms designed to authenticate users, KDCs,
	    or establish the reply key.  The expert first determines that the
	       purpose of the method is to authenticate clients, KDCs, or to
	          establish the reply key.  If so, expert review is appropriate.  The
		     expert evaluates the security and interoperability of the
		        specification.

We do not strictly requrie a public specification.  However, we do
require that the expert evaluate the specification based on
interoperability.

Does a requirement that we evaluate for interoperability effectively
mean that some form of specification be available?

My interpretation is that it does and that for example any of the
following could be sufficient:

* Documentation a vendor website

* Documentation in an RFC or internet draft

* Documentation freely sold to anyone for a price (say an ISO document
  or a for-pay IEEE document)

I'd appreciate any comments on this from the WG.
_______________________________________________
ietf-krb-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.anl.gov/mailman/listinfo/ietf-krb-wg

---

From: Tom Yu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 20:35:10 -0400

> mean that some form of specification be available?

I think this effectively places the pre-authentication type
registration policy in the realm of the RFC 5226 "Specification
Required" definition, which may be a good thing.  We could then use
the "permanent and readily available" criterion that RFC 5226
describes for the "Specification Required" policy.
_______________________________________________
ietf-krb-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.anl.gov/mailman/listinfo/ietf-krb-wg