Subject: [Ietf-krb-wg] pkinit-alg-agility-04: ISSUE #4: Suggestion about location of random-to-key step in text

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 11:52:58 -0400

ISSUE #4: Suggestion about location of random-to-key step in text
========
In Section #6, the document contains the following text:

    The above ASN.1 structured [SP80056A] HKDF produces a bit string of
    length K in bits as the keying material, and then the AS reply key  
is
    the output of random-to-key() [RFC3961] using that returned keying
    material as the input.

It would be better if this text was moved to directly after the
description of the KDF algorithm (above where the OtherInfo sequence
is defined), so that it would be more obvious that this needs to be
done in the KDF.  It also might be clearer to call the output of the
HKDF "key_material, insead of "key".

To address this, I would suggest the following changes:

OLD:
    4.  Set key = Hash1 || Hash2 || ... so that length of key is K  
bytes.

NEW:
    4.  Set key_material = Hash1 || Hash2 || ... so that length of
        the keying material is K bytes.

    The above ASN.1 structured [SP80056A] HKDF produces a bit string of
    length K in bits as the keying material, and then the AS reply key  
is
    the output of random-to-key() [RFC3961] using that returned keying
    material as the input.

Also, remove the above paragraph from the place where it originally
appears, several paragraphs later.
_______________________________________________
ietf-krb-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.anl.gov/mailman/listinfo/ietf-krb-wg