Subject: Re: [Ietf-krb-wg] [Fwd: Re: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-ietf-krb-wg-kdc-model-09]

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 13:40:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011, Leif Johansson wrote:

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
>
>
>> I've now rediscovered the source of my confusion.  When I first started
>> reading this section, I figured you'd have a bunch of policies in the
>> database, each of which had a unique identifier and which described a
>> particular restriction, such as "passwords must be at least 8 characters
>> long" or "passwords must be at least 423 characters long".  But then I
>> read section 4.4.2, which seems to say that policyIdentifier should
>> always be <TBD>.1 for a password policy, indicating that this is in fact
>> a policy type and not an identifier of a specific policy.
>>
>>
>> So, I think we are going to need some kind of update to make this clear.
>> Unfortunately, I still am not sure what it's supposed to mean.
>
> Yes you are right. I must have been less than awake when I wrote that.
> Clearly it is supposed to mean "class of policy".

In fact, having reread the section, that actually does seem pretty clear, 
despite my past confusion.  The first paragraph of section 4.4 clearly 
describes this as a typed hole, with the policyIdentifier being the type.
So, I don't think any further change is needed here.

If you can resubmit this to unexpire, I'll send it along to the IESG 
straightaway.

-- Jeff
_______________________________________________
ietf-krb-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.anl.gov/mailman/listinfo/ietf-krb-wg

---

From: Leif Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 13:32:49 +0200

> In fact, having reread the section, that actually does seem pretty
> clear, despite my past confusion.  The first paragraph of section 4.4
> clearly describes this as a typed hole, with the policyIdentifier being
> the type.

done