Subject: [L2CP] Proposed BOF Agenda

From: "Wojciech Dec \(wdec\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 15:21:45 +0100

Hi, 
I've put together a draft BoF agenda for the upcoming IETF meeting. 
This BoF is not yet scheduled, and requires an agenda to do so. 
I'd appreciate any feedback ASAP.

---------

DESCRIPTION

There is significant interest in the use of an IP based Layer 2 device
Control Protocol to manage and configure service provider access network
equipment. This BOF will present a summary of the problem areas and
requirements as identified by discussions in the DSL Forum. A set of
protocol solution proposals based on modifications and extensions to the
GSMPv3 protocol and items for future work will also be presented. Based
on the discussion, we will determine whether we should form an IETF WG
covering this topic.

The proposed agenda for a 1hr BOF is as follows:

1. Introduction/agenda tweaking (Chairs - 5 min)
2. Problem description (TBD - 15 min)
 - Topology discovery
 - Line configuration
 - OAM
3. Overview of proposed protocol solution (TBD - 15 min)
 - Currently proposed GSMP protocol extensions
 - Current status of implementation
 - Issues
 - Proposed work items
4. Discussion and Focus (25 min)
 - Interest in WG Formation 

READING LIST

Related Internet-Drafts:

GSMP extensions for layer2 control            
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-wadhwa-gsmp-l2control-configur
ation-00.txt

General Switch Management Protocol v3 - RFC3292
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3292.txt?number=3292

General Switch Management Protocol (GSMP) Packet Encapsulations for
Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM), Ethernet and Transmission Control
Protocol (TCP) - RFC3293
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3293.txt?number=3293
 
Layer 2 Control Protocol use-cases (DSL Forum work in progress)
PD21 - Liaised to the IETF by the DSL Forum on December 8th, 2005.
dsl2005.052.doc.

--
to subscribe to the L2CP discussion list please visit
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/l2cp 
L2CP Discussion archive:
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/l2cp/current/index.html
GSMP discussion archive:
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/gsmp/current/index.html

_______________________________________________
L2cp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/l2cp

---

From: Avri Doria <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 10:38:50 -0500

Hi,

I recommend that you include the current GSMPv3 ID (draft-ietf-gsmp- 
v3-base-spec-07) in the list of reading items:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/idindex.cgi? 
command=id_detail&id=9648

this was part of an effort to break the protocol up into a base  
portion and technology specific portions so that not every  
implementation would have to support all of the - to them -  
unnecessary extension.  i still support this with a low level effort,  
and if the WG were to pick it up would be either willing to continue  
doing so (alone or as a co-editor) or pass the xml source  on to  
whomever the chairs chose as editor.

Given some of the interests of this group, it might also be worth  
looking at RFC3532 (Requirements for dynamic partitioning) and  
RFC3604 (The requirements we were working towards at the time we were  
shut down)

a.

---

From: Mark Townsley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 07:57:00 -0800

> I'd appreciate any feedback ASAP.

The proposed agenda looks good to me, please include the additional 
reading list items from Avri.

The formal request for this BoF needs to be sent to the ietf-secretary, 
myself and Margaret by the end of business today. We can still tweak the 
agenda and proposed charter through the 13th, but the initial request 
needs to get out now.

Thanks,

- Mark