Subject: "Other PEs" in draft-ietf-l3vpn-mvpn-considerations-05

From: Yakov Rekhter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 07:35:47 -0800

Thomas,

In A.1.1.3 why does the "Other PEs" column show 2 m.e. on first join ?
Ditto for each additional PE joining.

Yakov.

---

From: Thomas Morin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 18:25:21 +0100

Yakov,

> Ditto for each additional PE joining.
The "Other PEs" column counts the m.e for all PEs,except for the upstream PE, which is in a separate column.

In the BGP case you mention (A.1.1.3) the only PE that processes a 
message is the upstream PE. The number should thus be 0 m.e and not 2 
m.e.  The mistake is a left-over from previous versions of this analyses 
where the recommendation on using RT-constraint in 
draft-ietf-2547bis-mcast-bgp was not taken into account.

In fact, section A.1.1.1 has a similar "off by one" unit mistake : the 
joiner PE does not itself see and process its own joins, and where the 
table read "#mVPN_PEs - 1", it should in fact read "#mVPN_PEs - 2".

I will update the two tables with correct numbers.

-Thomas