Subject: [ldapext] [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-hall-ldap-idn-00.txt]

From: "Eric A. Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 07:08:00 -0500

FYI. Feedback appreciated.

I really believe that something like this is needed to fully accomodate
IDNs in LDAP. The use of client-side transformations are extremely fragile
and prone to errors (eg, copying the data from one LDAP application and
pasting it in with another). I also think that nobody here really wants to
see codec output embedded in the namespace for years to come, but that's
the only predictable outcome from using client transformations. We need to
have UTF-8 elements for IDNs in order for them to work reliably.

The following issues in particular are still unresolved.

  7.      Open Issues

     Should a structured domain name sequence be formally defined, with
     the inetDomainComponent and inetEmail attributes formally
     incorporating that sequence?

     Should the inetEmail attribute be formally defined as structured,
     with the appropriate ASN.1?

     Should there be extensible matching filters that accept non-
     normalized input, normalize it, and then search for matching
     elements and/or attributes?

Thanks

-- 
Eric A. Hall                                        http://www.ehsco.com/
Internet Core Protocols          http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/coreprot/

Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-hall-ldap-idn-00.txt
From: [email-masked]
To: IETF-Announce: ;
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 10:52:10 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: LDAP Schema Extensions for Internationalized Domain 
                          Names
	Author(s)	: E. Hall
	Filename	: draft-hall-ldap-idn-00.txt
	Pages		: 16
	Date		: 2003-6-24
	
This document defines schema and behavioral rules which are 
necessary to fully accommodate the use of internationalized domain 
names as UTF-8 sequences in LDAP. Specifically, this document 
defines an internationalized domain component attribute, email 
address attribute, URI syntax, and several related object classes, 
and also discusses their usage considerations.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hall-ldap-idn-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-hall-ldap-idn-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-hall-ldap-idn-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.