Subject: [ldapext] 'client/session information' control

From: Hallvard B Furuseth <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 23:52:43 +0200

It might be useful to define a request control which describes aspects
of the client or the session to the server, e.g.

- extensions which the client understands
  (e.g. the horrible ";range=0-999" attribute option recently
  discussed),

- aspects of LDAP which the client prefers not to deal with, and which
  a friendly server may omit or otherwise take care not to use
  (e.g. attributes with attribute options, or which cannot be displayed
  as UTF-8),

- whether the client will handle referrals or hopes the server
  will chain referrals,

- preferred languages of error messages.

One could stick anything in there, like time limits for non-search
operations, or a command to convert all UTF-8 values to latin-3 and
omit values that cannot be converted, but maybe it's better to stop
somewhere.

Besides, about things like the UTF-8->latin-3 conversion, it might be
better to only specify what the server _may_ do, and not allow the
control to say what the server _must_ do (so the control, if supported,
would never fail even when marked critical).  Otherwise server
implementors might feel free to only support clients which do support
some extension which is incompatible with plain LDAP.  Not that
implementors don't do that anyway, but still...

Comments?

-- 
Hallvard

_______________________________________________
Ldapext mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ldapext

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 23:38:46 -0700

>of the client or the session to the server, e.g.

How does that differ from using separate request controls
(or other existing form of solicitation) where each which
identifies a particular aspect of the client?

Kurt