Subject: Re:[manet] Bandwidth vs Transmission range

From: "Vipperla Ravi Chander N Rao" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 18:45:03 +0530

Hi,

I guess 'intersymbol interference' has a major role to play in this 
issue.

When the bit rate is increased the spacing between the symbols 
transmitted decreases leading to higher intersymbol interference.

Actually what happens is that as the symbols propogate through a 
medium, due to the filtering nature of the medium the symbols spread in 
time interfering with the adjacent symbols. This effect becomes more 
apparent as the distance increases.

Hence as the bit rate increases, the maximum distance that the receiver 
should be placed at (for faithful reproduction of ransmitted symbols) 
decreases 

regards,
Ravi

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of 
Prasanna.Padmanabhan-1
Sent: dilluns, 24 / novembre / 2003 05:15
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [manet] Bandwidth vs Transmission Range

Hello Everyone,

In one of the WLAN cards (Wireless LAN Mini PCI Type 3A card), I see 
that for higher bandwidth cards they offer, the transmission range 
decreases.

For example, a 1 Mbps WLAN card has a tranmission range of 550m,
a 2 Mbps WLAN card has a tranmission range of 400m,
a 11 Mbps WLAN card has a tranmission range of 160m.

Does that mean that bandwidth and transmission range are inversely 
proportional.
I understand transmission range is related to Power. But how is it 
related to Bandwidth?

Please let me know.
Thanks,
Prasanna

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet