Subject: [manet] Mobile agents

From: moez gadri <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 02:05:26 -0800 (PST)

Hi every body,

I'm interrested to using mobile agents to improve routing mecanisms for MANETs. for exemple we can use them to minimise the time latency due to route recovery in reactive protocols. can agents improve any other drowback, for example ameliore the scalability to mobility, ...

if anyone have an idea in this subject, please send it to me.

best regards .

___________________________________________________
Check-out GO.com
GO get your free GO E-Mail account with expanded storage of 6 MB!
http://mail.go.com

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Justin Lipman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 22:47:25 +1100

Hi Moez, 

Ive always liked the idea of combining intelligent/mobile agents to ad hoc 
networks, but I think its possibly a little heavy weight...

You can go and look at work that Nelson Minar @ MIT media lab.

http://xenia.media.mit.edu/~nelson/research/routes/

More recent work can be found in the paper by:

Nikos Migas, William J. Buchanan, Kevin A. Mc Aartney 
Mobile Agents for Routing, Topology Discovery, and Automatic Network 
Reconfiguration in Ad-Hoc Networks 
http://www.buchananweb.co.uk/wjbuchanan.pdf

Hope that helps.
Justin

-- 
PhD Candidate
Telecommunications & Information Technology Research Institute
School of Computer, Electrical & Telecommunications Engineering
University of Wollongong, Australia 
http://www.titr.uow.edu.au/~justin

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 09:05 pm, moez gadri wrote:
> Hi every body,
>
> I'm interrested to using mobile agents to improve routing mecanisms for
> MANETs. for exemple we can use them to minimise the time latency due to
> route recovery in reactive protocols. can agents improve any other
> drowback, for example ameliore the scalability to mobility, ...
>

---

From: Jon Zeeff <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 15:13:29 -0500

I hear from the military that they are mostly looking at arrays of 
directional antennas with
switching systems to select the antenna used.  Ie, imagine 8 yagi antennas 
pointed
in different directions and a switch that allows any of them to be 
selected.   Advantages are
lower power, less interference, longer range.  The disadvantage is more 
complex routing
software - you also have to decide which antenna to use when.

I tend to agree that it is the right way to go.   What protocols do we have 
to support this?

---

From: Kenneth Brayer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 15:44:15 -0500

Jon
If you look at Ad Hoc you typically see a routing scheme on top of a 
broadcast scheme. Like run a router over packet radio. In the Ad Hoc 
spec they are typically merged. With directional antennas the antennas 
"look" at each other to set up a connection and then communicate. So you 
just need to separate the routing scheme from probably any Manet idea 
and use it as a point to point protocol. Just calculate the path based 
on routing info, point and send. Of course you have to know where to 
point. LEO Satellites can be prepointed and as they revolve around the 
earth if you did it right the pointing holds. With mobile vehicles, 
ground or air you may need a GPS based pilot system or some other 
orderwire for the vehicles to find each other. Since the routing needs 
paths and calculates based on paths it would seem a proactive system 
would be desired. If you look in "Packet Switching for Mobile Earth 
Stations via Low-Orbit Satellite Network", K. Brayer, Proceedings of the 
IEEE, November 1984 you will see an example.  Sorry, this predates 
computerized papers so you need to go to the library, IEEE Xplore may 
have a scanned pdf available, I don't know. The routing algorithm is the 
same idea as the add a path to messages system  as in DSR so I assume 
DSR can be used to strip out the algorithm. Also ZRP refers to a Route 
Accumulation Procedure which is again the same so it could be extracted 
to form a path calculator. Likewise ABR contains the path developer. 
Probably many others also.

Ken

Jon Zeeff wrote:

> switching systems to select the antenna used.  Ie, imagine 8 yagi 
> antennas pointed
> lower power, less interference, longer range.  The disadvantage is 
> more complex routing
> I tend to agree that it is the right way to go.   What protocols do we 
> have to support this?
>
>
>
>

-- 
Kenneth Brayer
Fellow of the IEEE
M/S B312
The MITRE Corporation
202 Burlington Road
Bedford, MA 01730

e-mail: [email-masked]
tele: 781-271-5254
fax: 781-271-2841