Subject: [manet] Extension to 802.11 needed for MANET?

From: "Chi-Hsiang Yeh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 07:57:11 -0500

Hi,

I'll appreciate your opinions toward the following issue.

In the literature, IEEE 802.11 is the most commonly assumed MAC protocol
for ad hoc networks. Most ad hoc network testbeds are also built based
on IEEE 802.11. However, some problems (e.g., concerning power control,
interference, QoS, directional antennas, security, or radio efficiency)
will be introduced when the MAC protocol of IEEE 802.11/11e is applied
to multihop networking environments, leading to inefficiency and
difficulties in QoS provisioning.

Do you think we need an extension to the MAC protocols of IEEE 802.11
and 802.11e for ad hoc networks and multihop WLANs?
 
Chi-Hsiang Yeh
___________________________________________________________
Chi-Hsiang Yeh (Mr./Dr./Prof.)
Dept. of Electrical & Computer Eng.
Queen's University
Kingston, Ontario, K7L 3N6
Canada
 
phone:  +1 613-533-6368
fax:     +1 613-533-6615
e-mail:  [email-masked] , [email-masked]
URL:    http://www.ece.queensu.ca/hpages/faculty/yeh/
___________________________________________________________

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Rex Buddenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Nov 2003 07:31:46 -0800

Chi-Hsiang,

You should read up on the IEEE 802.16 and 802.20 committee works.

Contacts in the WiMax group (industry association for .16) are telling
me to look for products in the coming year.  

-- 
b