Subject: [manet] AODV Question

From: DANIEL BYRNE <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:35:10 -0600

if the 

"AODV routing protocol is designed for mobile ad hoc networks
   with populations of tens to thousands of mobile nodes"

why is the HopCount limited to only a BYTE?  This effectively limits the number of hops to 255.  Why not expand the hop count to two bytes into the reseved region of the RREQ packet.  Something similar could be done with the RREP packet as well.

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Antti Tuominen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 12:26:34 +0200

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 10:35:10AM -0600, DANIEL BYRNE wrote:
> why is the HopCount limited to only a BYTE?  This effectively limits
> the number of hops to 255.  Why not expand the hop count to two
> bytes into the reseved region of the RREQ packet.  Something similar
> could be done with the RREP packet as well.

Hello Daniel,

This limitation is already inherent in the IPv4 and IPv6 protocols
(IPv4 Time To Live is 8bits and IPv6 Hop Limit is 8bits).  AODV
doesn't restrict it any further.  I see no point extending the AODV
Hop Limit field.

Regards,

Antti