Subject: [MEDIACTRL] Common xml elements

From: "Krishna Prasad Kalluri" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 09:23:34 +0200

Hello,

This is regarding common xml elements in different packages. I would
like to take the opinion of chairs and work group. 
Media Channel Control Framework document speaks about common components
in section 17 and it also described about 'connectionid' and
'conferenceid'After reading IVR package and browsing through the mixer
control package I found there are some more common elements. Also I
realized these elements are bare minimum for any control package.
There are some common elements but child elements may be different. So
it is possible to define the common elements in control frame work? and
child elements in different package.
Example: 'subscribe' element. This element is common in IVR, mixer
control package. But child elements are different. So by defining
'subscribe' in a common place it's possible to reduce the duplication in
different packages. It also helps in better understanding. Its also less
parsing work for the implementer and less testing effort. There are some
more elements like 'stream' etc. 'stream' is used in IVR package and
mixer package. The only different is package name space. 
I will try to put my concerns in a different way.
Frame work defines certain Methods (CONTROL, REPORT etc..). It states
control commands are defined in Control packages. To get the uniformity
in control packages we need to define basic common XML elements outside
the control packages. Describing common elements in control framework
document is not a bad option. 
I will take analogy with H.248: As the control packages say those are
motivated from H.248. In H.248 there are commands and the spec defines
different descriptors. Eg: Event Descriptor. Different kinds of events
and parameters are described in different packages. The base spec
H.248.1 gives a basic descriptor mechanism. May be you can call that as
template.
Say I am writing a 'xyz' media control package. If I wish I can call the
'subscribe' element to some thing else. I can say 'detect event'. I can
call the 'event' element as 'detected event'. So we don't get any
uniform view or understanding in different packages. 
This requires some work to do. But I think this is fundamental and worth
spending some hours on this. This also helps in getting uniform view in
different packages.
Regards
Krishna
_______________________________________________
MEDIACTRL mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mediactrl
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/mediactrl