Subject: [MEDIACTRL] MediaCtrl on adrenaline in Dublin

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 13:00:29 -0500

Dear MediaCtrl,

We are one of the working groups that has been asked to consider a shorter 
timeslot in Dublin, and after some back-and-forth, Eric and I have agreed to 
do this, if necessary.

We think this is OK, because

- we should be forwarding the control framework for publication, based on 
WGLC comments (you are reading this draft, right?),

- we will just be getting RAI review comments back on the IVR draft, and 
getting ready for WGLC, and

- we expect to spend the greatest part of our time on issues with the 
soon-to-be-forthcoming MIXER draft (watch this space for details).

We've posted our current agenda at 
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/08jul/agenda/mediactrl.html. Please comment 
to the chairs if you have concerns about this.

We haven't been moved from Tuesday morning yet on the conference agenda, but 
we expect that to happen Real Soon Now.

Thanks,

Spencer and Eric, as co-chairs 

_______________________________________________
MEDIACTRL mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mediactrl
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/mediactrl

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 11:57:15 +0200

Dear all,

honestly I do not understand such organization. There are some of us  
who are working hard on mediactrl-related issues, which in my view are  
not just the IVR and the mixer draft (even though I know such drafts  
represent the most important milestones at the present time).

Here at University of Napoli we are devoting lots of efforts to  
mediactrl and I think I can say we are somehow contributing to its  
success; though, we always find it difficult even just to disseminate  
information about our ongoing work inside the group. We are trying to  
let people discuss our "call flows" dratf since a year ago, but up to  
date, apart from informal feedback and comments, we received very  
little attention. I was hoping the time was now ripe for discussing  
such document and make a decision on whether or not letting it become  
a WG item. We were going to ask for a slot at the upcoming IETF and  
our intention was to both discuss the aforementioned document and  
present the latest version of the running mediactrl prototype. As far  
as I understand, this is not going to be feasible with a one hour  
session.

I personally find it strange that mediactrl, which is by no doubt one  
of the most active WGs in the RAI area, has to be shrinked in order to  
fit a reduced timeslot.

This is jus my two cents.

Cheers,

Simon

Quoting Spencer Dawkins <[email-masked]>:

> Dear MediaCtrl,
>
> We are one of the working groups that has been asked to consider a
> shorter timeslot in Dublin, and after some back-and-forth, Eric and I
> have agreed to do this, if necessary.
>
> - we should be forwarding the control framework for publication, based
> on WGLC comments (you are reading this draft, right?),
>
> - we will just be getting RAI review comments back on the IVR draft,
> and getting ready for WGLC, and
>
> http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/08jul/agenda/mediactrl.html. Please
> comment to the chairs if you have concerns about this.
>
> We haven't been moved from Tuesday morning yet on the conference
> agenda, but we expect that to happen Real Soon Now.
>
> Thanks,
>

-- 
                             _\\|//_
                             ( O-O )
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~o00~~(_)~~00o~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                     Simon Pietro Romano
               Universita' di Napoli Federico II
                  Computer Science Department
         Phone: +39 081 7683823 -- Fax: +39 081 7684219
                 e-mail: [email-masked]

     <<Molti mi dicono che lo scoraggiamento è l'alibi degli
    idioti. Ci rifletto un istante; e mi scoraggio>>. Magritte.
                          oooO
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(   )~~ Oooo~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                           \ (    (   )
                            \_)    ) /
                                  (_/
_______________________________________________
MEDIACTRL mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mediactrl
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/mediactrl

---

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 11:23:20 -0400

There were two mistakes made during scheduling for Dublin. The first  
was that BOF's were not accounted for. The second, which is more of an  
issue of fate than a mistake, is that one of those BOF's will most  
likely be "what is the future of SIP work in the IETF."

Mediactrl depends on SIP, so we kind of have to give a little. Do be  
aware that proportionately, we *are* getting more attention. Some RAI  
work groups that get between 5 and 7.5 hours of meeting time will  
perhaps get only 2 hours. Others are not happening at all.

As previously mentioned, it is likely we will have an informal  
gathering or two in addition to our formal meeting time.

On Jul 2, 2008, at 5:57 AM, [email-masked] wrote:

> who are working hard on mediactrl-related issues, which in my view  
> are not just the IVR and the mixer draft (even though I know such  
> drafts represent the most important milestones at the present time).
>
> success; though, we always find it difficult even just to  
> disseminate information about our ongoing work inside the group. We  
> are trying to let people discuss our "call flows" dratf since a year  
> ago, but up to date, apart from informal feedback and comments, we  
> received very little attention. I was hoping the time was now ripe  
> for discussing such document and make a decision on whether or not  
> letting it become a WG item. We were going to ask for a slot at the  
> upcoming IETF and our intention was to both discuss the  
> aforementioned document and present the latest version of the  
> running mediactrl prototype. As far as I understand, this is not  
> going to be feasible with a one hour session.
>
> I personally find it strange that mediactrl, which is by no doubt  
> one of the most active WGs in the RAI area, has to be shrinked in  
> order to fit a reduced timeslot.
>

---

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 11:28:49 -0400

A few people wanted to come forward to give demonstrations of their  
prototypes. On the one hand, IETF is not a technical conference or  
workshop. We do not do experience papers or novelty papers.  For that  
matter, we do not do presentations. The IETF meeting is a high- 
bandwidth workshop where we resolve issues to move work forward.  On  
the other hand, if, through your experience building a prototype or  
working out call flows, you discover problems or better ways of doing  
things, then it is the results that need to be discussed, on the list  
and, if need be, in person.