Subject: Re: [Mip6] GRE key

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 17:46:44 +0200

Chowdhury, Kuntal wrote:
> 
>> -----Original Message----- From: Alexandru Petrescu 
>> [mailto:[email-masked]] Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2007 
>> 9:08 AM To: Ahmad Muhanna Cc: [email-masked]; Alexandru Petrescu; 
>> Casati, Alessio (Alessio) Subject: Re: [Mip6] GRE key
>> 
>> Ahmad Muhanna wrote:
>>> Hi Alex, Please see comment inline.
>>> 
>>>> Casati, Alessio (Alessio) wrote:
>>>>> Kuntal's view is correct from here too.
>>>> Where are the NATs?  I don't see them.
>>> That is the key Alex, there is no NAT in the PMIP domain for this
>>>  case. I believe the figure in the draft is quite straight 
>>> forward.
>> If there's no NAT then how did people end up designing their 
>> address architecture so badly that address spaces overlap?
>> 
> [KC>] There are pools of addresses in the HA/LMA for each domain it 
> supports. Some of these domains may be enterprises using private 
> address space.

Are you saying that we deal here with a problem of two different
Enterprises each with its own HA: an inter-domain PMIP?

> So, it is often the case that pools of addresses for two domains on 
> the same HA/LMA are private and overlapping.

YEs.  But nobody said mobiles should be using these addresses to be
reachable, or to hold continuos sessions, or to talk to other mobiles
having same home address (they use CoAs for that).

> So, there is a valid use case for GRE keys to be used to distinguish
> user traffic for these domains in the LMA/HA.

I would ask around more about the necessity of GRE.

The overlapping private spaces is not a reason for any technology, it's 
a matter of poor administration.

Alex

______________________________________________________________________
This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System.
For more information please visit http://www.messagelabs.com/email 
______________________________________________________________________

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6