Subject: [Mip6] FW: Revised IFARE problem statement

From: "Narayanan, Vidya" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 17:12:58 -0700

I'm forwarding this to MIP6 so that we can get more people to review the
draft.  The IFARE work is targeted towards enabling a quick Home Agent
recovery from an IPsec perspective and hence relates to the MIP6 HA
reliability work under progress.  

Please review and send any comments/questions either to me offline or to
the IFARE mailing list ([email-masked]).  Please refrain
from having the discussion on the MIP6 list, unless the questions
specifically relate to MIP6.  In any event, copying the IFARE list would
be appreciated. 

To provide some more background, while IFARE is targeting a generic
IKEv2 session resumption mechanism that would help resuming IPsec
sessions rather quickly upon the need for a gateway switch (or reconnect
when a gateway reboots), the mechanism is meant to help quicker recovery
from Home Agent switches in MIP6.  In the process, it is feasible that
certain additional optimizations may be applicable specifically for the
MIP6 use.  Such optimizations won't be in the scope of IFARE itself.
Using the mechanisms that will be developed in IFARE, it may be possible
to optimize the MIP6 use of it further and we could consider that as
part of the HA reliability work if applicable.  So, for the purpose of
the IFARE work, please review to ensure that the goals in this draft
cover everything needed for IPsec usage in MIP6.  

Thanks,
Vidya

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Narayanan, Vidya 
> Sent: Friday, May 18, 2007 4:58 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]; 'Chowdhury, Kuntal'; 'Vijay 
> Devarapalli'; 'Kent Leung (kleung)'
> Subject: Revised IFARE problem statement
> 
> All,
> After talking to some more folks in the mobility space, I've 
> updated the PS to reflect the scenarios in 3G networks and 
> the relation to the MIP6 Home Agent reliability work in a 
> better fashion.  Consequently, some clarifications on the 
> goals have also been added.  This revision also addresses 
> Gregory's comments that were sent to the list.  
> 
> Until the updated draft is available at the IETF repository, 
> it can be found at 
> http://www.geocities.com/hellovidya/draft-vidya-ipsec-failover
-ps-02.txt.  
> 
> Please review and comment.  Folks on the cc list, I'd 
> especially like a review from you all to ensure that this 
> revised draft captures your suggestions and if the goals now 
> cover the cases needed for the MIP6 Home Agent reliability 
> work in your view. 
> 
> Thanks,
> Vidya

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6