Subject: [Mops] DRAFT minutes from IETF 110 MOPS meeting

From: "Leslie Daigle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 11:27:10 -0400

Hi,

Thanks, again, to Jake Holland for taking notes for last week’s MOPS 
meeting at the IETF 110 virtual meeting.    I’ve copied the current 
text below.  I’ll leave the codimd page up until the end of this 
Friday (March 19) for any clarifications or updates participants feel 
are important for clarity.  And then we’ll publish them as the 
official minutes of the meeting.    
https://codimd.ietf.org/notes-ietf-110-mops#

Leslie.

MOPS IETF 110 Virtual Agenda

March 12, 2020.
Admin [5 min]

     Note well
     Agenda bash
     Jabber scribe
     Minutes taker (https://codimd.ietf.org/notes-ietf-110-mops#)
         Jake Holland volunteered

Industry News/Experiences [60min]

     Discussion – Learning in situ: a randomized experiment in video 
streaming (Francis Yan) [10min]
     PREWATCH: https://irtf.org/anrp/IETF110-ANRP-Yan.m4v
     PAPER PRESENTATION: 
https://www.usenix.org/conference/nsdi20/presentation/yan
         Spencer: it takes 2 years of data to measure 20% difference in 
performance between ABRs, is that right? (Yan: yes). OK, given that can 
more constrained paths be more useful, so there’s congestion?
         (Spencer) And is Puffer just bound by content restriction? Yan: 
yes, Fugu can work on any video providers, it would be nice to extend 
this internationally with more than 1 server, as this would give us more 
scope. However, the conclusion of noisy data we believe still 
generalizes. The rebuffering events are so rare that it needs to be 
measured on tail users. Confirmed in principle by discussion with 
youtube and netflix.
         (Spencer): and this platform is open to other researchers, 
right? Yan: yes
         Renan Krishna: In figure 6 what’s the information included in 
the state update? Yan: in this figure the MPC controller is responsible 
for calling the predictor for the time of the next proposed chunk. Based 
on this the player can plan ahead. This diagram represents all the 
information needed by both components to work.
         Renan: so MPC is outputting a probability distribution? Yan: 
essentially, yes. There’s simpler ways to look at it too, but yes. 
There’s some scaling considerations too, so the signaling
         Will Law: What’s the bias in the test data? Is it coming 
mostly from the people watching this selectively have better internet 
connectivity? Based on other providers we usually see as much as 1% of 
sessions impacted by buffering, so that’s at odds with 2 years of data 
to see differences
         Yan: Yes, I think this is consitent. We see something like 0.1% 
buffering on a per-request basis so it seems roughly in line. To 
clarify: The training takes only 2 weeks, there is enough information 
there to be relevant, but getting the confidence intervals low enough to 
be sure of relative ABR algorithm performance takes more like 2 years of 
data.
     SVA updates (Glenn Deen/Sanjay Mishra) [20min]
     Low Latency Streaming (Will Law) [30min]
         Jake: best practices?: Will: dash industry forums, (tbd: come 
back and summarize from video, note-taker briefly lost connectivity)

WG Docs [20 min]

     Ops Cons (Spencer Dawkins)
         Spencer RE Issue 31: Matt Stock question RE: suggestion about 
incorporating ads? Mike English: Yes, spoke to him, he’s fine with 
doing what you think is best with his prior contribution.
         Glen RE Issue 24: how does this interact with the insights 
about streaming? Spencer: big impact was a lot more off-peak traffic, 
more videoconferencing traffic during the day from home. Good workshop 
report, trying to minimize information here since workshop report is now 
a good reference.
         Glen: interesting insights on non-videoconferencing traffic in 
the same time space, (e.g. netflix/games). Spencer: yes, there were 
interesting points about this in the IAB report.
         Jake RE volunteer request slide 6: Self-assignd a couple of 
issues since your slides, that’s on github now.
         Mike English to submit a PR for ads
         Some further details of issue assignment captured in github.

Related IETF work [20 min]

     Media Operations Use Case for an Augmented Reality Application on 
Edge Computing Infrastructure
     Renan Krishna draft-krishna-mops-ar-use-case-02. (Renan Krishna)
         Cullen: Latency budget is important to mention here. Renan: 
Sure, makes sense.
         Leslie: what do we think of adoption?
             Spencer: this looks to be in fine shape for the wg to work 
on
             Jake in chat: +1
             Poll result 10-0 for adoption, of 28 participants. Chairs 
will take it to list for confirmation.
             Poll “willing to review and contribute text?”: 9-1 
(Eric: reason for not==no time/no expertise)

MOPS onwards [15min]

     Milestones — revisit and review (see mailing list)
         Pushing SVA draft milestone to July, pushing SMPTE draft to 
November.
         Eric: don’t worry too much about the November deadline, this 
looks like tentative successful working group
         Warren: +1, this working group is looking successful. Most 
likely we are OK with milestones later than our current committed 
charter.
         Leslie: Milestone updates will be sent to list. Will aim to 
keep opscon at July target even if we don’t progress as much.
         Spencer: will organize an interim to target last call in July.

AoB [5min]

-- 

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Leslie Daigle
Principal, ThinkingCat Enterprises
[email-masked]
-------------------------------------------------------------------