Subject: MPLS over Ethernet formating

From: "Yaron Raz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 12:04:00 IST

As I understand, when running MPLS on top of Ethernet, the ETH frame format 
should be:
DA, SA, Ethertype (of MPLS), shim header, L3 data.
This means that the original Ethertype of a packet is lost.
How can the egress LSR perform the forwarding, if it doesn't have the L3 
protocol of the packets?
Is there a standard way to transport the originalEthertype along the LSP?

Thanks,
Yaron
_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.

Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at 
http://profiles.msn.com.

---

From: Ramanjaneyulu Y T <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 23:27:04 +0530 (IST)

Hi,
   Egress LSR forwards packet to L3 based on last label which it pops. So
last label indicate type of L3 protocol. Depending upon this label egress
LSR forwards to corrsponding L3 layer.                                         
    
         If I am wrong pls correct me.

                                     Regards
                                        Ramanjaneyulu Y.T. 
 
 " A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks
 out."
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 
Y.T.RAMANJANEYULU                        |   My other mail Ids:
E-70,INDIAN INSTITUTE OF SCIENCE         |         [email-masked]
BANGALORE - 560012                       |         [email-masked]
PH: 91 - 80 - 3092622 ( HOSTEL )         |
    91 - 80 - 3092658 ( HFCL LAB )       |
                   visit my home page:www2.csa.iisc.ernet.in/~ytr
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------