Subject: MPLS Activities at upcoming iBANDatISPCON event

From: Jason Utz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 14:01:43 -0700

I wanted to give you a heads-up on the sessions at the upcoming iBAND at
ISPCON event that are most relevant to this list:

"IP Centric Control and Management of Optical Networks "

"IP QoS: Whiteboard concept or global reality?"

These are just a few of the technical sessions at this year's 5th iBAND
conference

and showcase, co-located with ISPCON this year at the San Jose Convention
Center,

November 8-10. Internet Traffic Management, Service Provisioning and
Performance

Measurement are the themes of the event.

<bold>For more event information, go to:
http://events.stardust.com/iband

Before October 25, 2000, you can sign up for the event, get all the
sessions free in MP3 format 

and get a $100 discount by going to
https://events.stardust.com/iband/special/register_offer.htm

and using the following registration code: MPLS

</bold>----------------------

Other Event Highlights

----------------------

Keynotes

--------

* Content Delivery: A New World ofTechnology, Business & Value-Added
Services

Z. Alan Fink, Sr. Vice President & General Manager, Adero & Jim
Ricotta,Senior Director, Marketing Cisco Systems

* Internet Infrastructure: Why We Can't Just Paint Over the Cracks

Judy Estrin, Chief Executive Officer, Packet Design, Inc.

* Creating, Provisioning and Managing IP Services Under Massive
Commercial Pressures 

Charles Muirhead, Founder, Orchestream and iGabriel.net  

<bold><underline>BOFs

</underline></bold>* What's new in network processing and the CPIX
Forum's role in it

  Colin Mick, CPIX Forum  Steve Jacobson, RealNetworks

* The Technical Needs of Content Peering

  Mark Day, Cisco Systems & Brad Cain, Mirror Image Internet

* Enabling QoS at the Network Edge

  Manickam "Sri" Sridhar, Sitara Networks

* Policy-based Configuration Management

  Art Mellor, Gold Wire Technology

* Riding the Wave of Streaming Video

  Bodhi Mukherjee, InfoValue Computing

* Internet2

  Russ Hobby, UC Davis

<bold><underline>iBAND Showcase

</underline></bold>The iBAND Showcase is the fourth in a series of
networks engineered by members of 

the QoS Forum and exhibitors at the iBAND event -- It will feature:

* Accelerated Application Services

* Intelligent Network Infrastructure

* Service Management

* Network Performance Tools

<bold><underline>Relevant Sessions

</underline></bold>S6 - - IP Centric Control and Management of Optical
Networks

Debanjan Saha, Tellium Optical Systems

We are actively involved in the ongoing efforts in IETF, OIF, and ODSI to
standardize IP centric control architecture and protocols for optical
networks. This session will discuss the following issues from a service
provider perspective:

IP centric control optical architectures for optical networks and their
impact on layer 3 networks, 

Functional requirements of optical layer control functions, namely, link
management, topology discovery, routing, and signaling, and the ways they
are different from similar functions in IP networks, 

Standards activities in these areas (e.g. MPLS, OSPF, UNI, etc.),
implementation, and deployment issues. 

S8 - IP QoS: Whiteboard concept or global reality?

Jim Hendrickson, QoS Networks

Solutions such as ATM backbones and software offerings have tried to
address the whiteboard vision of prioritizing and shaping traffic. The
inherent problems with these solutions have been lack of granularity,
increased latency, lack of scalability, and the introduction of
complexity and inefficient overhead. Within the last two years,
technology has been made available and global political shifts have
allowed for the delivery of true Quality of Service beyond the edge and
to the customer premises. This session will explore the current industry
shift and how it will dramatically improve content delivery. It will also
discuss what offerings are here now, such as bringing the management of
Quality of Service to the desktop via a browser and VoIP delivery at
land-line quality levels with no regard for type of termination points.