Subject: Re: draft-kompella-mpls-l2vpn-00.txt

From: Kireeti Kompella <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 09:33:42 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Eric,

> Kireeti> Actually, you might be missing  some history, especially if you are
> Kireeti> under the impression that draft-martini predates draft-kompella-...
> Kireeti> Yes, draft-martini does predate draft-kompella.
> 
> Well, that clears that up. 

:-)

> Kireeti> However,  the  notion  of  FR/ATM  transport  over  MPLS  has  been
> Kireeti> _shipping_ in certain routers for nearly two years now.  The notion
> Kireeti> of label stacking for  such transport has been discussed internally
> Kireeti> for over a year, and communicated  to one of your co-authors over a
> Kireeti> year ago
> 
> The basic design described  in draft-martini was certainly developed earlier
> than that, though there's no way you could have known that. 

That was the point I was trying to make.

> So if your point is that  you are innocent of having "reinvented the wheel",
> I would  agree;

Thank you.

> if  your point  is that you  think you've  been plagiarized,
> well, that is not correct. 

Sorry if I gave that impression; I do not think I/we have been
plagiarized.  I'm just saying that the ideas underlying layer 2
transport (and label stacking for such) have been around a long time
(for some definition of "long"), and were arrived at independently
by several parties; and that we were one of those parties.

Kireeti.