Subject: Traffic engineering and RSVP

From: "Mike Badil" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 12:04:27 EDT

Hi

I confused  when I read traffic engineering with MPLS.

My question is:

MPLS is combination of layer 2 swithing and layer 3 routing. Traffic eng. is 
part of layer 3. In MPLS route(LSP) is established in advance according to 
the constraints. in other word, instead of choosing shortest path, it choose 
the path which satisfy its requirments, and to make link utulization better. 
In order to have done this with MPLS there are some works which say that 
OSPF,IS-IS can be modified by adding constraint to it.

That is clear so far,

I wondering that whether we can have those traffic engineering conditions be 
satisfied by other tech.

For example; RSVP-Intserv set up route in advance also. If we use extended 
OSPF,IS-IS etc.algorithm with Intserv-RSVP as we use in MPLS,
we can choose the path which satisfy our constraints instead of choosing 
Shortest path. Link load balancing can be done as in MPLS. So most of 
traffic engineering requirements will be satisfied.(let don't consider 
scalibility problem with RSVP now). Or it can work any other technology 
which use RSVP.

What am I missing here?

_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.

Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at 
http://profiles.msn.com.

---

From: Sudheer Dharanikota <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 09:20:56 -0500

> scalibility problem with RSVP now). Or it can work any other technology

The problem is in applying filter at every node to make sure your IP
packet
is following the selected path. Hence data path becomes slow.

- sudheer