Subject: RE: Some doubts

From: Eyad Saheb <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 15:12:27 -0400

I believe the question really is, what's the use of having a label *stack*.
Why not use just one label ?  There're a few reasons, but the ones that are
foremost on my mind are:

1) Multiple labels are useful when each one can not only direct a packet's
path, but also provide insight into it's contents, bindings, etc... For
example, the first label can indicate the path to follow, as well as the
CoS.  The next label can indicate that the Layer3 is IP. etc...

2) Another 'obvious' use is tunneling.  The benefits of tunneling are also
numerous, but above all it is a great way to transit a domain that isn't
under your control.  For example, an LSP heirarchy can be created as a
packet transits an ISP, the ISP's carrier, the carrier's carrier, and back
again.  On each domain crossing, a new label is pushed on to the packet,
routed internally, and removed at the egress.

For more reasons, there are plenty of books on MPLS applications.

Eyad

-----Original Message-----
From: Dhiraj Bhuyan [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, October 24, 2000 1:06 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Some doubts

Greetings,
I have a doubt. Will be grateful if somebody can clarify it -

What's the use of having a LSP tunnel?

Regards,

Dhiraj Bhuyan	
Bachelor of Technology,
Computer Science & Engg Dept
Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
India

_____________________________________________________
Chat with your friends as soon as they come online. Get Rediff Bol at
http://bol.rediff.com

Participate in crazy auctions at http://auctions.rediff.com/auctions/

-------
The MPLS-OPS Mailing List
Subscribe/Unsubscribe:  http://www.mplsrc.com/mplsops.shtml
Archive: http://www.mplsrc.com/mpls-ops_archive.shtml