Subject: RE: VPN solution

From: "Javier Gonzalez" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 14:39:07 +0100

The fact that the BGP/MPLS model explained in the informational draft
described below is the most discussed does not necessarily make it the best
possible solution.  Can you please provide more insight into the actual
scalability, security, manageability and use of private addressing details
that you make reference to ?  Have you read/implemented:
 
http://www.ietf.cnri.reston.va.us/rfc/rfc2764.txt?number=2764
<http://www.ietf.cnri.reston.va.us/rfc/rfc2764.txt?number=2764> 
or
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ouldbrahim-vpn-vr-01.txt
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ouldbrahim-vpn-vr-01.txt> 
or
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ouldbrahim-bgp-vpn-00.txt
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ouldbrahim-bgp-vpn-00.txt>  
 
Javier

-----Original Message-----
From: Juan Diego Otero [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 25 October 2000 16:04
To: Sheng, Wenbo 
Cc: MPLS WG
Subject: Re: VPN solution

Hi Wenbo, 

The method to build VPNs most discussed (and that makes me think 
that is the most popular) in this mailing list is 
the BGP/MPLS model explained in  draft-rosen-rfc2547bis-02.txt
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rosen-rfc2547bis-02.txt>  .
Personally I 
think this method has a lot of advantages such as scalability, security,
manageability 
and use of private addressing. Some of this advantages (specially
scalability) have been  
discussed in this mailing list. 

Best Regards, 

Diego 

Wenbo Sheng wrote: 

HI, 

Assuming my customer need to create a VPN, I just want to know which
solution is better - using MPLS-VPN or virtual routers? Which solution
is/will be more popular in creating a VPN? 

Thanks in advance, 

W.S.

-- 
http://www.geocities.com/diego_otero/
<http://www.geocities.com/diego_otero/>

---

From: Karthik Muthukrishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 08:05:48 -0400

.. add http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2917.txt?number=2917 to the list of other approaches...

The fact that the BGP/MPLS model explained in the informational draft described below is the most discussed does not necessarily make it the best possible
solution.  Can you please provide more insight into the actual scalability, security, manageability and use of private addressing details that you make reference
to ?  Have you read/implemented:

Javier

     -----Original Message-----
     From: Juan Diego Otero [mailto:[email-masked]]
     Sent: 25 October 2000 16:04
     To: Sheng, Wenbo 
     Cc: MPLS WG
     Subject: Re: VPN solution

     Hi Wenbo, 

     The method to build VPNs most discussed (and that makes me think 
     that is the most popular) in this mailing list is 
     the BGP/MPLS model explained in  draft-rosen-rfc2547bis-02.txt . Personally I 
     think this method has a lot of advantages such as scalability, security, manageability 
     and use of private addressing. Some of this advantages (specially scalability) have been  
     discussed in this mailing list. 

     Best Regards, 

     Diego 

     Wenbo Sheng wrote: 

       HI, 

       Assuming my customer need to create a VPN, I just want to know which solution is better - using MPLS-VPN or virtual routers? Which solution is/will be
       more popular in creating a VPN? 

       Thanks in advance, 

       W.S.