Subject: MPLS/BGP VPN - public access & Private access together

From: Sridhar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 19:31:18 +0530

Hello,

This diagram is the case described in MPLS - Technology and applications by
Yakov Rekhter and Bruce Davis in Page Number 242/244

|-------|  |-------|   |-------|     |-------|   |-------|  |-------|
| VPN A |__| CE1   |___| PE 1  |     | PE 2  |___| CE2   |__| VPN A |
| HOST  |  |       |   |       |     |       |   |       |  | Host  |
|-------|  |-------|   |-------|     |-------|   |-------|  |-------|
               |           |            |            |
|-------|      |           |            |            |      |-------|
| VPN B |______|           |            |            |______| VPN B |
| Host  |                  |            |                   | Host  |
|-------|              |-------|     |-------|              |-------|
                       | P 1   |_____|  P 2  |
                       |       |     |       |
                       |-------|     |-------|

If CE1 is not supporting MPLS then it will be sending the traffic to PE with
the same label for both VPNs (VPN A and VPN B).

Can anybody tell me how a host in VPN A will be able to use both public
network and VPN at the same time from a single host? 
				Or 
is it that at a time we can use only VPN and will not be able to use Public
network from that system?

If we are able to use both of them at the same time then how will PE
identify that it is not a VPN session?

Thanks in Advance,
Sridhar

---

From: GUESDON Herve FTRD/DAC/ISS <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 16:15:50 +0200

Sridhar 

I suppose that you want to build a Network Based VPN using the RFC2547
architecture. In that architecture, providing a public (Internet) access to
a VPN is describe in draft-rosen-rfc2547bis-02.txt. Note that you can apply
these designs using the Virtual Router architecture
(draft-ouldbrahim-vpn-vr-01.txt).

I aggree with Jesica that this discussion has to take place in the
[email-masked] mailing list and not in the mpls one. You can find the nbvpn
mailing-list and drafts at http://nbvpn.francetelecom.com/

Regards

herve

****************************************************************
Hervé Guesdon                                    DAC/CPN/RRI
Research and Development Engineer
IP Routing and VPN lab
France Télécom - R&D
38-40 rue du Général-Leclerc  
92794 Issy Moulineaux Cedex 9  France
phone : +33.1.45.29.43.74  fax : +33.1.45.29.54.11
****************************************************************

"L'avenir c'est du passé en préparation."

>-----Message d'origine-----
>De : Sridhar [mailto:[email-masked]]
>Envoyé : lundi 9 octobre 2000 16:01
>À : [email-masked]'
>Objet : MPLS/BGP VPN - public access & Private access together
>
>
>Hello,
>

---

From: Jieyun Jessica Yu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 07:54:10 -0700

Just to clarify, the one implementation I mentioned in my earlier message is
VPN implemented with IPsec VR model. 

cheers!
                  --Jessica

-----Original Message-----
From: GUESDON Herve FTRD/DAC/ISS
[mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, October 09, 2000 7:16 AM
To: 'Sridhar'; [email-masked]'; [email-masked]'
Subject: RE: MPLS/BGP VPN - public access & Private access together

Sridhar 

Regards

herve