Subject: RE: [IP-Optical] RE: Optical link bundling

From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 11:06:12 -0400

S.Sankaranarayanan wrote:

> The speed argument is with respect to the use of an automated control
> plane to set up switched circuits, not with respect to which transport
> technology we choose to use.  As a matter of fact, one of the things
> that has emerged in various standards organizations working on
> automatically switched optical networks is that the control plane by
> itself should be "layer agnostic", i.e., the same control 
> plane should 
> be capable of handling switched services irrespective of what the
> underlying transport is.

Indeed, Shiva, that was my point. The solutions used elsewhere (SONET, ATM,
MPLS) can apply here, and any better solution found here can be applied
elsewhere. No need to mix up the issues.

I originally wondered why the ION WG charter had not been exanded to address
this topic.

Bert
[email-masked]