Subject: draft-kompella-mpls-l2vpn-00.txt

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 21:14:09 -0400

Kireeti,

Given that there is little application difference between your draft and 
draft-martini-l2circuit-trans-mpls-03.txt, I'm curious why you didn't just 
build upon it rather than start from scratch.  Certainly draft-martini-... 
didn't go as far as you did regarding on the procedures for building sets 
of L2 connections into VPNs, but it has much more detail on the basics, 
including encapsulation, label stacking, and LDP/RSVP-TE interactions.

Some things are also missing from your draft.  draft-martini... handled 
some cases that you haven't included, such as the need in some cases to 
include a L2 length field.  It also includes how to signal the association 
of L2 identifiers, such as DLCIs, VPI/VCIs, etc, with particular LSPs, and 
the mechanics of such an association weren't immediately obvious in your 
draft other than handwaving.  Finally, it's important to include the 
details on how to interface to the appropriate L2 status signaling, such as 
FR LMI/PVC status signaling, and ATM OAM.  I didn't see that in your draft 
at all.

I noticed at least one obvious bug in your spec - for FR, you completely 
strip out the DLCI octets.  However, there is not only address information 
in those octets, but the C/R, DE, BECN, and FECN bits.  FR standards 
require that these be transported unchanged through a network.  Dropping 
C/R in particular will break FRADs and other non-IP FR applications.

I highly suggest that you give draft-martini-.... another look.  I for one 
would be happy to work with you on including what's already been specified 
there in your own draft, either by reference or by inclusion.  There's no 
reason to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks,
Andy
________________________________________________________________________
Andrew G. Malis     [email-masked]     phone:408-383-7223
Vivace Networks/2730 Orchard Parkway/San Jose, CA 95134/fax:408-904-4748
http://www.vivacenetworks.com