Subject: RE: MPLS over Ethernet formating

From: Eyad Saheb <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 14:29:15 -0400

From my understanding, the L3 protocol should/could be inferred from the
last label (or by configuration in the router ex. always assume L3 to be
IP).  For example, a label value of 0 represents IPv4, 2 represents IPv6,
etc...

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Yaron Raz
Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2000 8:04 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: MPLS over Ethernet formating

As I understand, when running MPLS on top of Ethernet, the ETH frame format 
should be:
DA, SA, Ethertype (of MPLS), shim header, L3 data.
This means that the original Ethertype of a packet is lost.
How can the egress LSR perform the forwarding, if it doesn't have the L3 
protocol of the packets?
Is there a standard way to transport the originalEthertype along the LSP?

Thanks,
Yaron
_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.

Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at 
http://profiles.msn.com.

---

From: Bora Akyol <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 12:46:10 -0700

For RSVP-TE, the L3 PID is carried as part of signaling.

For LDP and CR-LDP, the protocol can signal a last hop label value of 0 or 2; or
one can use configuration.

Eyad Saheb wrote:

>
>
> From my understanding, the L3 protocol should/could be inferred from the last
> label (or by configuration in the router ex. always assume L3 to be IP).  For
> example, a label value of 0 represents IPv4, 2 represents IPv6, etc...
>