Subject: Interface ID in kompella-unnum-02

From: "Raftelis, Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 12:31:16 -0500

Hello,
	In draft-kompella-mpls-unnum-02.txt, the interface ID field is shown
to be 16 bits.  Previous e-mails have suggested that the size be increased
to 32 bits to match the SNMP ifIndex size.  Can this be increased?  We could
have ifIndex values that are larger than 16 bits.  Also, the Reverse
interface ID TLV suggested in Alan Kullberg's "unum-02 comments" e-mail
sounds great to people implementing CR-LDP, except for the size of the
interface ID field.

Mike Raftelis

---

From: Yakov Rekhter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 12:21:48 -0700

Mike,

> to 32 bits to match the SNMP ifIndex size.  Can this be increased?  

Please bear in mind that the interface index (interface ID) is carried
not just in RSVP/CR-LDP, but in OSPF as well. 

In OSPF with unnumbered links interface ID is carried in the same field
as a plain IP address. At the same time one still need to be able to
distinguish between the case when this field carries an IP address and
the case when this field carries an interface ID. So if we allow interface
ID to be 32 bits, then when this field carries the value 33620225, is
that an IP address (2.1.1.1) or an interface ID (33620225) ?

Yakov.

---

From: Bora Akyol <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 13:24:47 -0700

Can we add one more bit to the message to indicate whether this is an ifindex vs
IP address?

Bora