Subject: RSVP Checksum

From: LDP Hello <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 20:02:55 -0700 (PDT)

Hi ... 

Can RSVP messages    being used for MPLS sigannling
can have checksum as ZERO ??? 

What should have happen if mpls router receives/sends
checksum as zero ... 

Appreciate expert opinions - 

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Auctions - buy the things you want at great prices
http://auctions.yahoo.com/

---

From: David Charlap <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 10:47:24 -0400

> can have checksum as ZERO ???

Yes.  A zero checksum means "don't care".  Checksum should not be
verified for the packet.

A sender should only send a zero checksum if some other mechanism (such
as use of the INTEGRITY object) is in place for detecting message
corruption.

Use of a zero checksum without any other error-detection mechanism is
technically legal, but it should not be done, because transmission
errors will not be detected.

-- David