Subject: MPLS Policing and Shaping

From: "Robert Streijl" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 10:36:10 -0400

Hi,

I am not sure if this topic has been brought up before. Maybe quite a while
ago... I am trying to understand if and how policing, shaping, and marking
is supported in MPLS. I am trying to find the equivalence in MPLS of
UPC/NPC in ATM.

I have found the following:

1) MPLS allows (but does not require) the precedence or class of service to
be fully or partially inferred from the label.  In this case, one may say
that the label represents the combination of a FEC and a precedence or
class of service. (RFC3031)
2) MPLS Traffic Trunks, for TE, have two attributes which contribute to
policing and shaping: The traffic parameter attribute and the policing
attribute. (equivalent to ATM UPC mechanism) (RFC2702)
3) DiffServ allows policing and shaping information to be encoded in a
DHCP.

Does anybody implement solution 1 and how? I guess that with MPLS it does
not always mean that you receive labeled packets, say if you are a carrier.
With ATM you expect cells to come in.

I wish to stay out of solutions 2 and 3 for now, unless nobody found a
solution for 1.
Also, I wish to stick with the RFCs, and not really with proposed solutions
in drafts, however any activities in there are welcome.

How is solution 2 implemented?

Thanks
Robert