Subject: MPLScon 2001 - CFP

From: Irwin Lazar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 07:18:42 -0600

MPLScon 2001 - Fall - will be held on October 1-4, 2001 at the Hyatt Regency
in Reston, Virginia.  A call for presentations for this event and submission
guidelines are now available at
http://www.mplscon.com/call_for_presentations_fall.htm.  Presentation
submissions are due no later than July 1, 2001.

What Is MPLScon?
MPLScon is emerging as one of the premier industry events covering
Multiprotocol Label Switching.  MPLScon brings together tutorials, standards
discussions, operator and service provider deployment plans and experiences,
technology discussions and vendor presentations to provide a single place
where those involved in developing, deploying, managing and marketing
MPLS-based services can converge.  Building on our successful inaugural
event held in March of 2001, MPLScon Fall '01  "The MPLS State of the Union"
will address the current MPLS "reality", where we are today, what we've
learned, and what remains to be done.

Call For Presentation Categories:
MPLScon seeks presentations and panel discussion participants based on the
following topics and conference schedule:

Tuesday, October 2nd 2001  "MPLS in the Service Provider Core"
The theme of this day is a discussion and analysis of current MPLS
deployments in large service-provider networks with a focus on MPLS Traffic
Engineering, MPLS Quality of Service, and MPLS integration into existing
protocols.  During this session we will also explore technologies such as
Generalized MPLS and the coming convergence in Layer 1, 2 and 3 that enables
a unified control plane for optical and legacy core networks.

Specific topics for presentations and panel discussions in this session
include:

MPLS Integration With Existing Protocols:
·       Integration of MPLS into existing ATM & SONET-based networks
·       Deploying MPLS in mixed environments: Ethernet, Frame Relay, ATM,
and more
·       Using MPLS to deliver Frame Relay, ATM and/or Ethernet
·       MPLS versus ATM - Is this really the correct debate?
·       Service Provider Perspectives  "Reality vs. Hype"

MPLS Network Engineering:
·       Providing MPLS-based networks with SONET-like resiliency?
·       MPLS Traffic Engineering
·       Guaranteeing Quality of Service in multi-service MPLS networks
·       Best-practices Integrating MPLS into large BGP environments with
route reflectors and/or confederations
·       MPLS integration with IPv6
·       MPLS implementation in OSPF and IS-IS  pros, cons and experiences

The Role of MPLS in an all-optical switched network infrastructure
·       Generalized MPLS (MPL(ambda)S)
·       Provisioning and providing high-availability optical networks using
MPLS
·       Path protection and resiliency in MPLS+Optical networks

Wednesday, October 3rd 2001  "MPLS-VPNs"
The theme of this day is a discussion and analysis of current MPLS-VPN
deployments in large service-provider networks.  During this session we will
focus on how MPLS-VPNs are being used to deploy new carrier services, the
challenges service providers have faced in implementing MPLS-VPNs, the
benefits and drawbacks of various approaches to MPLS-VPNs such as virtual
routers and MPLS-BGP.

Specific topics for presentations and panel discussions in this session
include:

MPLS-VPN Technologies:
·       Using BGP Extensions to provision MPLS-VPN services
·       Using the Virtual Router model to provision MPLS-VPN services
·       Using MPLS to provide Layer 2 VPN services
·       MPLS-VPNs across service provider boundaries
·       MPLS-VPNs in Ethernet and Metropolitan Area Networks
·       Demarcation - where does the MPLS path end and/or begin?
·       New service opportunities made possible as a result of MPLS-VPN
·       VPN Scaling  Prefix/label distribution including IGP, BGP, LDP

MPLS Security:
·       MPLS integration with IPsec
·       MPLS-VPN security
·       Securing the label distribution and path creation process 

Thursday, October 4th, 2001  "MPLS Provisioning, Management and Operations"
The theme of the final day of MPLScon is to look at how MPLS networks are
being managed in the real world, including requirements systems, challenges,
and future developments.

Specific topics for presentations and panel discussions in this session
include:

MPLS Product Interoperability:
·       Experiences in MPLS interoperability testing efforts

MPLS Network Management:
·       MPLS network management - systems, methods, tools
·       Extensions to ICMP for managing MPLS-based networks
·       MPLS and application SLA's - using MPLS to provide application level
service level agreements
·       Operational Support Systems in support of MPLS network management
·       How will trends toward policy enabled and directory enabled
networking integrate into MPLS deployments
·       Label switch paths provisioning and management
·       Modeling and simulation tools for testing MPLS-based networks
·       Verifying and managing SLA's
·       Path computation and selection

Wrap-up Topics:
Future road-map for service providers