Subject: Label-switched router latency

From: "David Acevedo/TAIS/40650/579" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 08:20:08 -0400

Dear MPLS Experts,

Is there a way to determine/measure the latency of an MPLS Label-Switched
Router (LSR)?  Moreover,  Is the processing delay (time it takes for a packet
to enter a LSR and exit the same LSR) the same when the LSR is only processing
one stream of data for one FEC instead of processing hundreds of streams from
multiple customers?

I am guessing that when a LSR is processing only one connection, it receives
each packet and immediately forwards it to the next hop; when the LSR is
processing (lets say) hundreds of messages/streams from multiple FECs each
packet will be processed one at the time causing an increase in latency for all
packets. Is this correct?

thanks

David Acevedo

-- 
David Acevedo
Computer Network Analyst
Off: (937)904-0650
[email-masked] or
[email-masked]