Subject: draft-harrison-mpls-oam-req-00.txt

From: Shahram Davari <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 15:32:27 -0700

Hi,

Please post the attached draft.

Summary:

This draft provides motivation and requirements for user-plane OAM 
(Operation and Maintenance) functionality in MPLS networks.
 
Motivation for this recommendation rose from Network operators' need 
or tools that ensure reliability and performance of MPLS LSPs 
(Label Switched Paths). User-plane OAM tools are required to verify 
that LSPs have been setup and are available to deliver customer data 
to target destinations according to QoS (Quality of Service) 
guarantees given in SLAs (Service Level Agreements). 
    
Requirements presented in this draft include but are not limited to: 
    
 . Tools to efficiently detect and localize defects in MPLS layer 
 . Mechanisms for fast defect notification 
 . Availability and performance criteria 
 . Trigger for corrective actions (e.g. protection switching) when 
     failures occur. 

Regards,
-Shahram Davari

 <<draft-harrison-mpls-oam-req-00.txt>>