Subject: Seek clarification on FTN Tables

From: Lin Sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 09:22:06 -0700

Hello Tom:

In the MPLS FTN MIB draft 0.1 dated 4/2001, there are two tables for the
FTN:
1) FTN table and
2) FTNmap table

With these two tables, each interface could have a list of FTN entries (in a
linked-list) to be activated on that interface.
I have two questions here and I would appreciate you and other co-authors to
clarify:

1) can different interfaces include FTNs that could appear in different
FTNMap entries (interfaces)?
2) if the answer to 1) is yes, would you allow modifications to an existing
FTN entry that is applied to multiple interfaces and
    possibly multiple LSPs/Tunnels?
3) if the answer to 2) is yes, would the modifications be updated to the
active tunnels

Thanks.

/Lin Sun

---

From: "Cheenu Srinivasan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 13:00:25 -0400

Lin Sun wrote:
[snip]
> FTNMap entries (interfaces)?

I presume you are asking if the same FTN entry can be mapped to
different interfaces. Yes, an FTN entry can be reused in this way.

>     possibly multiple LSPs/Tunnels?

This is up to the particular implementation.

> 3) if the answer to 2) is yes, would the modifications be 

Those implementations that choose to allow this would have to ensure
that the updated FTN is activated on all the affected interfaces.
It will of course lead to issues such as ensuring atomicity of
the update operation.

Cheenu