Subject: Unusual Hub-Spoke Configuration

From: "Gould, Michael" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 09:57:33 +0100

In the JunOS MPLS Applications Guide 4.4, the example of a Hub-and-Spoke
MPLS VPN configuration is very unusual.

It states that: "For a hub-and-Spoke VPN topology to function properly,
there must be two interfaces connecting the hub PE router to the hub CE
router, and each interface must have its own VRF table on the PE router."

It then goes on to describe a configuration where there are 2 VRF tables for
a single hub site.  One table imports only routes from the spoke sites and
exports nothing.  The other table exports routes from the hub site and
imports nothing.  The example is definitely not refering to a management VPN
and there is only one hub CE.

Although it looks like this configuration would work, we have never needed
more than one interface or VRF table per hub site.  Does anyone know the
reason for this particular configuration?

Mike Gould
orchestream.com

--
This communication contains confidential information intended solely for the use of the individual/s and/or entity or entities to whom it was intended to be addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this transmission is prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately, delete this communication from your system, and do not disclose its contents to any third party, or use its contents.  Any opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Orchestream Ltd or its group of companies unless otherwise specifically stated.