Subject: RE: GMPLS Last Calls - generalized-04/rsvp-te-03

From: Fong Liaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 19:12:12 -0700

Hi, 

Here are my comments/questions. I apologize if 
I overlook the text that might already explain 
my questions. A pointer will do in that case.  

Thanks.   -Fong

Regarding <draft-ietf-mpls-generalized-signaling-04.txt>

1. In section 3, it says that "generalized label does not
   contain a type filed, instead the nodes are expected
   to know from context what type of label to expect".
   This principle is applied to all other label object
   except LABEL_SET. Is there a particular reason to 
   include "label type" (section 3.5.1) in LABEL_SET object ?

2. Section 3.1.1, why does LSP Enc. Type includes "Packet",
   "Ethernet V2/DIX", and "Ethernet 802.3" ? Aren't they all
   packet and their label type can be derived from its link ?
   If not, don't we also need ATM, FrameRelay in the code point,
   in particular section 3.2.1.2 "Other Labels" talks about
   ATM, FrameRelay labels.

   I have doubt as to whether we really need LSP encoding type
   since that is a service discovery issue and should
   be known before signaling, in particular in the context
   of RSVP where upstream selects the link. Can some one 
   explain the benefit of having it, besides from verifying
   the consistency of the request and the link type ?

3. Section 3.1.2 bandwidth encoding. The text said that 
   these bandwidth encoding does not apply to SONET/SDH
   technology. I believe they also do not apply to ANSI/ETSI
   PDH technology, for the same reason we exclude SONET/SDH. 
   Isn't it more precise to say which technology the bandwidth 
   encoding applies to ?

4. Section 3.2.1.1 Port and Wavelength Labels. The description 
   of "Label" using the term "sender" and "receiver". In RSVP
   these two terms have special meaning (upstream and downstream),
   so I am not clear whether "sender" means the sender of the
   (RESV) message or the "sender" of the LSP. This is particular
   troublesome when it is referenced, such as "The information
   carried in a suggested label is identical to a generalized
   label". Suggest to use "upstream" or "downstream".
    
5. Section 3.3 Waveband Switching. How do we
   distinguish 3 wavelength labels from waveband labels ?
   Or is this always used in conjunction with "lambda LSP" ?

   The text also said waveband Identifier is "The value is
   selected by the sender and reused in all subsequent related
   messages." What are the subsequent related message that 
   would include waveband identifier but not the waveband label 
   object ?

   The same issue with using "sender" here. Suggest use
   upstream or downstream. 

6. Section 3.5.1 Required Information for Label Set.
   Can each SubChannel x be a list of labels, 
   e.g. for an STS-12 each of them can include 12 SKLM
   values ? So, if I have 24 time slot that can be used
   for an STS-12 connection, I have to specify all combination
   that are allowed, or can I just specify the 24 SKLM 
   values as subchannel 1 when requesting a STS-12 connection ?
   If so, why do I need more than one "subchannels" ?

<draft-ietf-mpls-generalized-rsvp-te-03.txt>

1. section 2.1.2. Does it mean one must accept both "control load"
   and "guarantee service" in flowspec ?

2. section 5.1. Procedure for Explicit Label Control.
   The text said that "the preceding subobject must be a strict object",
   isn't it enough to say that "the preceding object must uniquely
   identify a link ?"

>  -----Original Message-----
>  From: George Swallow [mailto:[email-masked]]
>  Sent: Monday, May 14, 2001 10:52 AM
>  To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
>  Subject: GMPLS Last Calls
>  
>  
>  This message initiates a last call on four GMPLS drafts.  The last
>  call is being issued jointly in the MPLS and CCAMP workgroups.
>  
>  The drafts are:
>  
>      1.  Generalized MPLS - Signaling Functional Description
>  
>             <draft-ietf-mpls-generalized-signaling-04.txt>
>  
>  
>      2.  Generalized MPLS Signaling - RSVP-TE Extensions
>  
>             <draft-ietf-mpls-generalized-rsvp-te-03.txt>
>  
>  
>      3.  Generalized MPLS Signaling - CR-LDP Extensions
>  
>             <draft-ietf-mpls-generalized-cr-ldp-03.txt>
>  
>  
>      4.  GMPLS Extensions for SONET and SDH Control
>  
>             <draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-sonet-sdh-00.txt>
>  
>  
>  The last call closes May 29, 12 pm GMT.
>  
>  
>  -  V2KG (Vijay, Vijay, Kireeti, & George)
>  
>  
>  =============================================================
>  =========
>  George Swallow       Cisco Systems                   (978) 244-8143
>                       250 Apollo Drive
>                       Chelmsford, Ma 01824
>  
>  
>