Subject: Comments on kompella-mpls-l2vpn-02 draft

From: "Li, Eve" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 18:35:47 -0400

BGP's next hop field for L2VPN signalling is not clearly specified. 

Since [BGP-MP] (rfc 2858) requires that the next hop address be in the same
address family as the NLRI.  What the next hop address should be for
L2VPN-specific NLRIs?  Thx, 

-eve

---

From: Quaizar Vohra <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 17:34:44 -0700 (PDT)

> L2VPN-specific NLRIs?  Thx, 

I couldn't find any such requirement in the rfc. 

Since you want MPLS LSPs terminating in these next-hop addresses, and
currently most implementation use IPv4 addresses as destinations in
the LSPs, it seems like IPv4 addresses are a good candidate for the
nexthop field. 

We will update the L2VPN specification to reflect this as a
recommendation.

Thanks,
Quaizar