Subject: Very basic question

From: "King Man" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 14:23:56 -0400

Hi All:

I have a very basic question re MPLS. After having just caught up on MPLS 
drafts and RFCs at a high level, the answer to the following is not obvious 
to me:

Does all IP traffic entering an MPLS network [at an LER] have to satisfy one 
or more explicitly configured filters before being forwarded to the 
destination ? In other words, I would expect that the most common [and 
basic] way to deploy an MPLS network would be to use LDP [as an example] to 
distribute labels for reachable destinations and do L3 lookup at the edge of 
the MPLS cloud and forward using an LSP. This allows provider to acheive L2 
like forwarding efficiencies through the core for IP packets and requires no 
filters to be configured anywhere..

Thanks for the response. Please "reply-all" to this message as I am not 
subscribed to the mail list yet..

Please excuse the naivette. It runs in the family, they say.. :-)

-King
_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

---

From: Robert Raszuk <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 11:39:57 -0700

Hi King,

> destination ?

No.

> In other words, I would expect that the most common [and

Exactly your are right. 

Everything only depends what is the purpose of using MPLS in your
network. The only thing which is worth noting that MPLS does not improve
your forwarding efficiencies significantly as opposed to regular IP
lookup forwarding. Modern lookup algorithms implemented in hardware work
at line rate with high speeds. See archives of this list for detail
discussions reg this topic :).

R.