Subject: RE: BGP/MPLS VPN over a TE'd core..

From: "Balagot, Miguel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 08:16:16 -0700

Bala,
Though it's not a standard document, here's a draft that will give you a
good info in traffic engineering your VPN.
I hope it helps.

Miguel

-----Original Message-----
From: Bala Subrahmanyam Venkata
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Sent: 5/20/01 5:10 PM
Subject: BGP/MPLS VPN over a TE'd  core..

All-

Are there any references for creating 'standard' BGP/MPLS VPNs over a
traffic engineered core ? I was reading through Juniper's doc on
BGP/MPLS
VPN creation (the "MPLS Applications" guide on their website) but it
does
not specify how I would engineer my core for a specific VPN
(specifically,
is it possible to select a particular 'pre-created' LSP that I have with
explicit hops and certain service parameters for a given BGP/MPLS VPN ?)
It
will be better if you can tell me if this is a valid requirement for an
ISP.

TIA,

bala

-------
The MPLS-OPS Mailing List
Subscribe/Unsubscribe:  http://www.mplsrc.com/mplsops.shtml
Archive: http://www.mplsrc.com/mpls-ops_archive.shtml

---

From: Robert Raszuk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 14:32:05 -0700

How this draft (draft-rosen-vpns-ospf-bgp-mpls-01.txt) is related to the
origial question beats me ;-).

Anyway the answer is very simple.

> traffic engineered core ?

Yes it can be done. Note also that running LDP "underneath" can save you
from late night pages of those who lost VPN connectivite only because TE
tunnel failed for some reason. [P routes don't hold VPN routes.] 

> not specify how I would engineer my core for a specific VPN (specifically,

One way of doing this is building your TE tunnels to different bgp next
hops (in cisco you can set it under vrf itself). That way traffic for a
given VPN will take the tunnel you have explicitely requested for it.

R.

> "Balagot, Miguel" wrote:
>   ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>                                             Name: draft-rosen-vpns-ospf-bgp-mpls-01.txt
>    draft-rosen-vpns-ospf-bgp-mpls-01.txt    Type: Plain Text (text/plain)
>                                         Encoding: quoted-printable