Subject: what exactly is an "opaque" object.

From: Abhijit M Gadgil <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 10:33:08 +0530 (IST)

Hi

While reading thr' the RSVP related draft, a term called opaque object is
used quite often. Can anyone please tell me what exactly one means by
opaque object?

thanks and regards

-abhijit

---

From: "Amarendra" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 11:23:59 +0530

There r some objects in RSVP whose contents r not visible in RSVP these
objects r called opaque objects e.g
objects of classes FLOWSPEC, ADSPEC, and POLICY_DATA are opaque to RSVP,
which simply hands them to
 traffic control or policy modules.

Please refer
3.11.6 Service-Dependent Manipulations

         Flowspecs, Tspecs, and Adspecs are opaque objects to RSVP;
         their contents are defined in service specification documents.
         In order to manipulate these objects, RSVP process must have
         available to it the following service-dependent routines.