Subject: Vendors who use Ships in the Night

From: "MP LS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 10:56:01 +0200

Hello All

I have a question.
Are there any vendors at the moment who already implemented
MPLS and ATM as the Ships in the night principle. For the use in a ATM-LSR.

I would be pleased of anyone can give me some more info also about the way 
the seperate the VP/VCs for ATM and for MPLS.

Greetings,

Niels Sitters
_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.

---

From: "Akshat Kapoor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 15:02:27 +0530

Niels,
    Many vendors currently provide Ships in the Night mode in their MPLSoATM
switches. You can go through the feature lists of  vendors (who provide MPLS
over ATM) at www.mplsrc.com
    Although a very old one but you can probably refer to
<draft-jamoussi-mpls-sin-00.txt> for operating in "Ships in the Night" mode.

Akshat

---

From: Sidnie Feit <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 13:25:03 -0400

"Ships in the Night" -- that is, running both MPLS and ordinary IP at a 
router, and running MPLS and ordinary ATM
circuits concurrently is included in the basic MPLS functionality.

For LDP, an ATM switch announces the
VPI and VCI label ranges that it has set aside for MPLS during the opening
exchange of initialization messages across the signaling circuit.

For RSVP-TE, a label-request object in an upstream RESV message carries
the acceptable VPI/VCI ranges.

My bet is that lots of Service Providers operate multi-purpose ATM networks 
today.
1. They carry encapsulated frame relay frames (inside ATM circuits) for 
customers who want to keep frame relay service
2. The set up native ATM circuits for customer that have ATM interface 
equipment
3. They carry MPLS/ATM traffic for customers that use an IP interface to 
the network.

Sidnie Feit

At 10:56 AM 5/29/2001 +0200, MP LS wrote:

>-------
>The MPLS-OPS Mailing List
>Subscribe/Unsubscribe:  http://www.mplsrc.com/mplsops.shtml
>Archive: http://www.mplsrc.com/mpls-ops_archive.shtml