Subject: Question regarding null padding session name in RSVP-TE Att obj

From: "Ling Yan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 15:34:53 -0400

I have a simple question regarding null padding to the session name
to make it to be a multiple of 4 and at least 8 in RSVP-TE attribute
object. It is really appreciated if someone can help to clarify it.
Thanks in advance.

If the string length is exactly a multiple of 4 and greater than 8
without counting null padding or null terminate character, --
1) is it required to add at least null terminated char to indicate the
string termination?
2) is it required to check at the receiver whether the session name is
null terminated or not?

     The contents of the Session Name field are a string, typically
     of display-able characters.  The Length MUST always be a
     multiple of 4 and MUST be at least 8.  For an object length
     that is not a multiple of 4, the object is padded with
     trailing NULL characters.  The Name Length field contains the
     actual string length.

Regards,

--
Ling Yan

---

From: George Swallow <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 17:22:11 -0400

> 1) is it required to add at least null terminated char to indicate the

No.  But it would not be illegal to add a multiple of 4 nulls.  But
optimally you should only add 0-3 nulls.

> 2) is it required to check at the receiver whether the session name is

Only to find the end of the string.  I.e. if the last char is
printable it should pass.

...George

========================================================================
George Swallow             Cisco Systems                  (978) 936-1398
                           1414 Massachusetts Avenue
                           Boxborough, MA 01719