Subject: (NAT) I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-nat-dns-alg-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 08:01:09 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Network Address Translators Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: DNS extensions to Network Address Translators 
                          (DNS_ALG)
	Author(s)	: P. Srisuresh, G. Tsirtsis, P. Akkiraju, A. Heffernan
        Filename	: draft-ietf-nat-dns-alg-03.txt
	Pages		: 28
	Date		: 04-Jun-99
	
Domain Name Service(DNS) provides name to address mapping within
a routing class (ex: IP). Network Address Translators (NATs)
provide transparent routing between hosts in disparate routing
realms of the same routing class. Typically, NATs exist at the
border of a stub domain, hiding private addresses from external
addresses. This document identifies the need for DNS extensions
to NATs and outlines how a DNS Application Level Gateway (DNS_ALG)
can meet the need. DNS_ALG modifies payload transparently to alter
address mapping of hosts as DNS packets cross one routing realm
into another. The document also illustrates the operation of
DNS_ALG with specific examples.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nat-dns-alg-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-nat-dns-alg-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nat-dns-alg-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.