Subject: [MEXT] Resolving Issue #4 Remove references to site-local addresses

From: "Charles E. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 16:36:12 -0700

Hello folks,

I've decided to backtrack and avoid trying to resolve
issues #7 or #10 this week.  I might still post some
updated discussion about them, though.  I'll go through
the others one by one as I get the text updated.

First is issue #4:  Remove references to site-local addresses

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
OLD TEXT:
=========
3.1. General Terms
...
  unicast routable address

     An identifier for a single interface such that a packet sent to it
     from another IPv6 subnet is delivered to the interface identified
     by that address.  Accordingly, a unicast routable address must
     have either a global or site-local scope (but not link-local).

NEW TEXT:
=========
3.1. General Terms
...
  unicast routable address

     An identifier for a single interface such that a packet sent to it
     from another IPv6 subnet is delivered to the interface identified
     by that address.  Accordingly, a unicast routable address must
     either be global IPv6 address or a unique local IPv6 address.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

OLD TEXT:
=========
4.6. Site-Local Addressability

  This specification requires that home and care-of addresses MUST be
  unicast routable addresses.  Site-local addresses may be usable on
  networks that are not connected to the Internet, but this
  specification does not define when such usage is safe and when it is
  not.  Mobile nodes may not be aware of which site they are currently
  in.  It is hard to prevent accidental attachment to other sites, and
  ambiguity of site-local addresses can cause problems if the home and
  visited networks use the same addresses.  Therefore, site-local
  addresses SHOULD NOT be used as home or care-of addresses.

NEW TEXT:
=========
4.6. Unique-Local Addressability

  This specification requires that home and care-of addresses MUST be
  unicast routable addresses.  Unique-local IPv6 unicast addresses
  [RFC4193] may be usable on networks that use such non-globaly routable
  addresses but this specification does not define when such usage is
  safe and when it is not.  Mobile nodes may not be aware of which site
  they are currently making it hard to prevent accidental attachment
  to other sites, resulting in possible unrechability between the MN
  and the HA, when unique-local IPv6 routable addresses are used as
  care-of addresses.  CNs outside the MN's own site are unlikely
  to be reachable when unique-local IPv6 routable addresses are used
  as home addresses. If such addresses are used, however, according
  to [RFC4193], they are treated as any other global unicast IPv6
  address so, for the remainder of this specification, use of
  unique-local IPv6 unicast addresses is not differentiated
  from other globally unique IPv6 addresses.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

OLD TEXT:
=========
10.4.2. Processing Intercepted Packets
...
                                           ... Packets addressed to
  the mobile node's site-local address SHOULD NOT be tunneled to the
  mobile node by default.

NEW TEXT (None: old text removed)
=========

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

OLD TEXT:
=========
11.3.1. Sending Packets While Away from Home
...
  o  While not at its home link, the mobile node MUST NOT use the Home
     Address destination option when communicating with link-local or
     site-local peers, if the scope of the home address is larger than
     the scope of the peer's address.

NEW TEXT:
=========
11.3.1. Sending Packets While Away from Home
...
  o  While not at its home link, the mobile node MUST NOT use the Home
     Address destination option when communicating with link-local peers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

OLD TEXT:
=========
11.5.4. Returning Home
...
                               ...The mobile node MUST multicast such a
  Neighbor Advertisement for each of its home addresses, as defined by
  the current on-link prefixes, including its link-local address and
  site-local address.

NEW TEXT:
=========
11.5.4. Returning Home
...
                               ...The mobile node MUST multicast such a
  Neighbor Advertisement for each of its home addresses, as defined by
  the current on-link prefixes, including its link-local address.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards,
Charlie P.

_______________________________________________
MEXT mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mext