Subject: edit-config and 'any' data type

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 13:27:21 -0700

Hi,

Martin and I are the only ones who probably care about
this issue, but I just wanted to mention one more thing.

The edit-config operation is data-dependent.
The conceptual data structures on top of the XML can influence
how various corner cases in the protocol are handled, not to
mention the obvious differences that choices and keyed data introduce.

The 'any' data type has no such conceptual data structure
associated with it.  Operations that work on the actual
data structure are not going to work the same way when
that data structure is part of a subtree filter.

(It is like SMIv2 OPAQUE, but with an XML sub-tree instead of a string.)

I suppose it is good enough to just mention in the notifications
document that the edit-config operation on the contents of
the 'filter' sub-tree (within the namedProfile) is undefined,
and unpredictable results may occur if this is done.

Andy

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/netconf/>