Subject: [Netconf] double create-subscription operation

From: Tomasz Mikolajczyk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 13:46:44 +0100

Hi,

It's not obvious from the RFC 5277 how a NETCONF server should behave
when an already subscribed for notification client sends the
create-subscription once again. I see two possibilities:

 1) existing subscription has to be somehow updated, i.e apply new
filters, change stop time, etc. Sections 2.3 and 3.5 say about lifetime
but updating doesn't mean recreating, i.e. finishing existing
subscription and creating a new one. But I guess in an implementation it
would mean recreating

 2) error must be returned

IMO, the first one seems to be more useful as it would be possible to
change existing subscription's parameters without need of creating a new
session or waiting for the existing subscription's dead. However, the
second option is simpler.

Regards,
Tomasz Mikolajczyk

The information contained in this e-mail and in any attachments is confidential and is designated solely for the attention of the intended recipient(s). If you are not an intended recipient, you must not use, disclose, copy, distribute or retain this e-mail or any part thereof. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete all copies of this e-mail from your computer system(s).
Please direct any additional querFrom [email-masked]  Wed Nov 26 04:48:37 2008
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 13:46:44 +0100
From: Tomasz Mikolajczyk <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Netconf] double create-subscription operation
Sender: [email-masked]

Hi,

It's not obvious from the RFC 5277 how a NETCONF server should behave
when an already subscribed for notification client sends the
create-subscription once again. I see two possibilities:

 1) existing subscription has to be somehow updated, i.e apply new
filters, change stop time, etc. Sections 2.3 and 3.5 say about lifetime
but updating doesn't mean recreating, i.e. finishing existing
subscription and creating a new one. But I guess in an implementation it
would mean recreating

 2) error must be returned

IMO, the first one seems to be more useful as it would be possible to
change existing subscription's parameters without need of creating a new
session or waiting for the existing subscription's dead. However, the
second option is simpler.

Regards,
Tomasz Mikolajczyk

The information contained in this e-mail and in any attachments is confidential and is designated solely for the attention of the intended recipient(s). If you are not an intended recipient, you must not use, disclose, copy, distribute or retain this e-mail or any part thereof. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete all copies of this e-mail from your computer system(s).
Please direct any additionaies to: [email-masked].
Thank You.
_______________________________________________
Netconf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netconf

l queries to: [email-masked].
Thank You.
_______________________________________________
Netconf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netconf

---

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 13:52:15 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

> create-subscription once again. I see two possibilities:

See section 6.5:

   When a <create-subscription> is sent while another subscription is
   active on that session, the following error will be returned:

   ...

/martin

---

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 13:52:15 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

See section 6.5:

   ...

/martin

---

From: Tomasz Mikolajczyk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 14:02:18 +0100

>    active on that session, the following error will be returned:

Sorry, I missed it. Thanks.

Regards,
Tomasz Mikolajczyk

The information contained in this e-mail and in any attachments is confidential and is designated solely for the attention of the intended recipient(s). If you are not an intended recipient, you must not use, disclose, copy, distribute or retain this e-mail or any part thereof. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete all copies of this e-mail from your computer system(s).
Please direct any additional queries to: [email-masked].
Thank You.
_______________________________________________
Netconf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netconf

---

From: Tomasz Mikolajczyk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 14:02:18 +0100

Regards,
Tomasz Mikolajczyk