Subject: Re: [ogpx] ogpx Digest, Vol 11, Issue 6

From: Katherine Mancuso <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 15:56:35 -0500

Hi everyone,

If folks would be content with using IRC rather than Jabber I have an IRC
<-> SL relay that works fairly well.  It has a piece that needs to be
installed at services level (something like NickServ, ChanServ, etc) on the
appropriate server, so if you wanted to use an IETF-specific server I need
to get you in touch with the creator to negotiate setting it up.  Otherwise
we can use irc.quickfox.net.  This is the system I use:
http://www.quickfox.net/services/slgateway.

I've looked for various search terms like XMPP, Jabber, Second Life, Open
Sim, bridge, gateway  . . . and I'm finding a lot of speculation that this
could be possible but no real implementations.  Maybe someone knows of
something else?

Josh - yes, I'll be at the IETF meeting - I wasn't sure for a moment there,
sorry.  We can chat more by backchannel.

-Katherine

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Katherine Mancuso: crusader of community art, social technology, &
disability

Research:
Center for Assistive Technology & Environmental Access (http://www.catea.org
)
Georgia Tech, Digital Media (http://dm.gatech.edu)

Community:
The Vesuvius Group: metaverse community builders (
http://www.thevesuviusgroup.com)
Gimp Girl Community Liaison/Research Fellow (http://www.gimpgirl.com)
Alternate ROOTS: arts*community*activism (http://www.alternateroots.org)
Students Working Against Negative Stereotypes of Autism, Georgia Tech.
([email-masked])

Contact in the web, the metaverse, the world:
http://twitter.com/musingvirtual
http://muse.dreamwidth.org
http://www.linkedin.com/in/kathymancuso
SL: Muse Carmona
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 16:40:08 -0500

> <-> SL relay that works fairly well.

Jabber is the official IETF IM mechanism.  It's certainly fine if we
can use IRC (or anything else), but we'll get the most connectivity
(and acceptance) if we can do our bridging with Jabber.

Barry

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 14:43:03 -0700

On 3/4/10 2:40 PM, Barry Leiba wrote:
> Jabber is the official IETF IM mechanism. 

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3921 :)

> It's certainly fine if we

There are IRC <=> XMPP bridges but SL <=> IRC <=> XMPP might be a bridge
too far...

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: Meadhbh Hamrick <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 14:36:41 -0800

why so? some people like IRC and there's a tool that works. why not use it?

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 1:43 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> ogpx mailing list (VWRAP working group)
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ogpx
>
>

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 15:58:24 -0700

> why so? some people like IRC and there's a tool that works. why not use it?

Why is Jabber the official IETF IM mechanism? Because that's the
decision that the IETF made 3 or 4 years ago. I don't recall the
reasoning at that time, but for quite some time there have been chat
rooms at jabber.ietf.org. Perhaps most importantly, the IETF Note Well
rules apply there, whereas those rules would not apply to an IRC channel
on Freenode or whatever.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: Morgaine <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 03:52:26 +0000

It's also worth mentioning that we still have the "ogpx" Jabber conference
room set up on jabber.ietf.org, left over from IETF75, and it still works
--- I just tried it.

Morgaine.

=================================

---

From: Lawson English <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 22:14:54 -0700

> There are IRC <=> XMPP bridges but SL <=> IRC <=> XMPP might be a bridge

There's at least one IRC SL bridge and at least one SL jabber bridge and 
I believe that realXtend's default chat is jabber. I don't think its a 
big problem regardless.

It would be NICE to have such bridges set up formally, and certainly 
VWRAP should be eating its own dog foot (virtual world interop) but most 
people who can use SL can also use jabber.

Lawson

---

From: Joshua Bell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 16:27:29 -0800

Hey folks.

I have an Jabber<->SL text chat relay operational (modulo a bug here
or there). It uses the python pyogp library to talk to SL, and the
python xmpppy library to talk XMPP to a Jabber chat room. It ended up
being multiprocess so I can plug in additional relays and connections
- I'll have a go at getting IRC in as well. Any others we want
operational?

Sorry about the spam in IETF Island and [email-masked] for
anyone who wandered by. :)

---

From: Meadhbh Hamrick <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 17:00:45 -0800

<joke>maybe we should code a quick SL to SIMPLE gateway.</joke>

--
meadhbh hamrick * it's pronounced "maeve"
@OhMeadhbh * http://meadhbh.org/ * [email-masked]

---

From: Joshua Bell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 15:34:48 -0800

Update: using irclib.py I added an IRC module as well. If someone can
suggest an IRC location for VWRAP discussions, I can give the
three-way SL/XMPP/IRC bridging a public whirl. (We'll still have to
sort out the "Note Well"/blue sheet issues.)

---

From: "Hurliman, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 18:44:45 -0700

We've been doing development in #vwrap on Freenode.
John

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> Joshua Bell
> Sent: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 3:35 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [ogpx] ogpx Digest, Vol 11, Issue 6
>

---

From: Lawson English <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 23:03:02 -0700

> sort out the "Note Well"/blue sheet issues.)
\Talk to the Metanomics people in-world They might be willing to 
rebroadcast the video/audio. AL=lso, while 
QWAK/Telesense/Croquet/Cobalt  may not be directly involved with VWRAP,  
they have their own facilities for restreaming media and they might 
appreciate a URL to a feed for them.

Lawson