Subject: [OPSAWG] Expressing SNMP SMI Datatypes in XML Schema Definition Language draft submitted

From: "Natale, Bob" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 03:18:40 -0500

Hi,
 
I have submitted "Expressing SNMP SMI Datatypes in XML Schema
Definition Language", draft-ietf-opsawg-smi-datatypes-in-xsd-00.txt,
via the Internet-Drafts submission tool, but had to do it via a "manual
entry" due to administrative complications.  Manual submissions can
take up two business days to process.
 
In the meantime, I have posted a copy at
http://home.comcast.net/~bobnatale/draft-ietf-opsawg-smi-datatypes-in-x
sd-00.txt.
 
For those who might want to review the slides I presented at the
Vancouver IETF for background info, you can get them at
http://home.comcast.net/~bobnatale/Converting_SNMP_MIBs_to_XML_via_XSD.
ppt.  The I-D has updated wording relative to the slides.  Slide 7
helps to narrow the focus of the current effort relative to the
original MIB2RMDL scope on slide 6.
 
Apologies for cross-posting to the ops-area list -- this is an "Ops
Area WG" and "MIB2RMDL" item, but just wanted to be sure to alert all
interested parties without going too far afield.
 
Cheers,
BobN

_______________________________________________
OPSAWG mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/opsawg

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 10:01:10 +0100

> http://home.comcast.net/~bobnatale/draft-ietf-opsawg-smi-datatypes-in-x

I see the following text:

   This document concerns the SMI datatypes that are carried "on-the-
   wire" -- i.e., have tag values defined in the SMI carried in varbinds
   in SNMP PDUs -- between SNMP management applications and SNMP agents:

   o  INTEGER
   o  Integer32
   o  Unsigned32
   o  Counter32
   o  Gauge32
   o  TimeTicks
   o  Counter64
   o  OctetString
   o  Opague
   o  IpAddress
   o  ObjectIdentifier

By the very nature of ASN.1, values of any type carried in an SNMP
varbind list have a tag. If your idea is to look at types with
distinct tag values, then the list does not make sense since INTEGER
and Integer32 or Gauge32 and Unsigned32 use the same tag.

Perhaps it is better to talk about SMIv1/SMIv2 base types.  This term
is used in several places in RFC 2578.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>
_______________________________________________
OPSAWG mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/opsawg

---

From: "Natale, Bob" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 06:59:36 -0500

Hi Juergen,

Thanks..."base types" will be fine.

Original intent was to distinguish this set _in a concrete manner_ from
TCs which, of course, are not recognizable as types on the wire. 

Cheers,
BobN

-----Original Message-----
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder
[mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2008 4:01 AM
To: Natale, Bob
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [OPSAWG] Expressing SNMP SMI Datatypes in XML
SchemaDefinition Language draft submitted

   This document concerns the SMI datatypes that are carried "on-the-
   wire" -- i.e., have tag values defined in the SMI carried in
varbinds
   in SNMP PDUs -- between SNMP management applications and SNMP
agents:

   o  INTEGER
   o  Integer32
   o  Unsigned32
   o  Counter32
   o  Gauge32
   o  TimeTicks
   o  Counter64
   o  OctetString
   o  Opague
   o  IpAddress
   o  ObjectIdentifier

/js

---

From: "Natale, Bob" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 02:17:30 -0500

Hi,
 
I have submitted an updated version of "Expressing SNMP SMI Datatypes
in XML Schema Definition Language",
draft-ietf-opsawg-smi-datatypes-in-xsd-01.txt, via the Internet-Drafts
submission tool, but had to do it via a "manual entry" due to
administrative complications.  Pending formal publication, you can get
a copy from the "staging" area at:
http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/staging/draft-ietf-opsawg-smi-datatype
s-in-xsd-01.txt.
 
This draft includes changes made for comments on the -00 version
received from Juergen Schoenwaelder and David Harrington.
 
I will post a more detailed description of the changes later today or
tomorrow.
 
Cheers,
BobN