Subject: [OPSAWG] Choice of reporting for NAT events

From: Tom Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 09:32:37 -0400

We are currently working on logging of NAT events, and making this 
consistent with the NAT MIB (which is also being revised). Currently the 
NAT MIB has several notifications, indicating, in effect, resource 
utilizations reaching a configured threshold. We will definitely be 
adding these events to the logs (IPFIX and SYSLOG based). Do operators 
need a choice between logs and SNMP notifications, or can we get rid of 
the latter?

Tom Taylor

---

From: "George, Wes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 09:28:59 -0400

> need a choice between logs and SNMP notifications, or can we get rid of
[WEG] Yes, I believe they need to stay in SNMP as well. While it is possible to trigger alarms in a monitoring system via watching logs for a certain condition/text string, it's vastly easier to make it something you can manage via either a trap or polling a value and evaluating the result.

Thanks
Wes George

This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Time Warner Cable proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to copyright belonging to Time Warner Cable. This E-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and any printout.

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 15:33:38 +0200

> [WEG] Yes, I believe they need to stay in SNMP as well. While it is possible to trigger alarms in a monitoring system via watching logs for a certain condition/text string, it's vastly easier to ma…

If they stay in SNMP, do they also need to stay in IPFIX/SYSLOG?

Simon

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 09:38:19 -0400

> > [WEG] Yes, I believe they need to stay in SNMP as well. While it 
> is possible to trigger alarms in a monitoring system via watching 
> logs for a certain condition/text string, it's vastly easier to make
> it something you can manage via either a trap or polling a value and
> evaluating the result.
> 

IMO, both should be kept. 

1 - It provides implementation flexibility
2 - Both might actually be needed at the same time (for different 
operational groups with different needs, procedures and systems)

/JF