Subject: [OPSAWG] Protocol Action: 'Finding and Using Geofeed Data' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-opsawg-finding-geofeeds-17.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 06:08:01 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Finding and Using Geofeed Data'
  (draft-ietf-opsawg-finding-geofeeds-17.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Operations and Management Area Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Warren Kumari and Robert Wilton.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-finding-geofeeds/

Technical Summary

Providers of Internet content and other services may wish to customize
those services based on the geographic location of the user of the
service. This is often done using the source IP address used to
contact the service. Also, infrastructure and other services might
wish to publish the locale of their services. [RFC8805] defines
geofeed, a syntax to associate geographic locales with IP addresses.
But it does not specify how to find the relevant geofeed data given
an IP address.

This document specifies how to augment the Routing Policy Specification
Language (RPSL) [RFC4012] inetnum: class [INETNUM] to refer to
geofeed data, and how to prudently use them. In all places inetnum:
is used, inet6num: should also be assumed [INET6NUM].

Working Group Summary

There seemed to be a reasonable amount of discussion during the WG phase, 
but nothing that seemed to be particular controversial or rough.

Document Quality

There are active discussions in one RIR to implement the proposed
field in their deployed RPSL Whois.  There are discussions commencing
in another RIR.  Commentary included an author of a third RPSL
implementation.

 I would like to thank George, the doc shepherd for performing a 
 diligent shepherd's review and writeup.

Personnel

The document Shepherd is George Michaelson.
The responsible Area Director is Robert Wilton.

IESG Note

This document defines a "remarks: Geofeed" attribute until a new
"geofeed:" attribute in the inetnum: class can be defined.  The
 authors are actively working with the relevant parties to get the
geofeed: attribute defined aligning with the specification defined
in this document.