Subject: Re: [OPSEC] [karp] please review draft-wei-karp-analysis-rp-sa-00.txt

From: Glen Kent <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 05:55:52 +0530

2010/7/10 Glen Kent <[email-masked]>:
> Hi Wei,
>
> I am not sure i understand the objective and the motivation behind
> this draft. Would be really helpful if you could elaborate on that.
>
> Glen
>
> 2010/7/10  <[email-masked]>:
>>
>> Hello, Folks:
>>
>> A new draft is availiable
>> (http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wei-karp-analysis-rp-sa-00.txt), the
>> abstract is as follows:
>> This document analyzes the security associations used by current routing
>> protocols, including RIPv2, OSPFv2, ISIS, BFD, and BGP.  It also discusses
>> the possible methods for the diversity issue of routing protocol security
>> association (SA).
>>
>> Please review it and give us some comments. Your comments are highly
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Best Regards！
>> Wei
>>
>> --------------------------------------------------------
>> ZTE Information Security Notice: The information contained in this mail is solely property of the sender's organization. This mail communication is confidential. Recipients named above are obligated to maintain secrecy and are not permitted to disclose the contents of this communication to others.
>> This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the originator of the message. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender.
>> This message has been scanned for viruses and Spam by ZTE Anti-Spam system.
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> karp mailing list
>> [email-masked]
>> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/karp
>>
>>
>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 13:54:20 +0800

Hi Glen,

Thanks for your comments!
The darf we submitted is intended to make contribution to KARP WG. KARP is 
dedicated to secure the routing protocols' packets on the wire, and 
defines two main work phases for each routing protocol in its roadmap 
(please refer to 
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-karp-design-guide/). In phase 
I, the work is to enhance the routing protocol's current authentication 
mechanism without KMP (Key Management Protocol), and includes 
characterizing RP (Routing Protocol) and gap analysis between current 
security state and the optimal state of RP. And in phase II, the work is 
to develop an automated keying framework, and includes KMP analysis and 
gap analysis between current security state and the optimal state. 

The work we done in our draft is to analyze the current security state of 
RP(Routing Protocol), and specifically, we analysis the SA (Security 
Association) of several RPs, i.e., RIPv2, OSPFv2, ISIS, BFD, and BGP, 
especially some fields including key identifier, cryptographic algorithm 
and key, lifetime, and sequence number. Here we call for attention to the 
diversity of SAs. This issue may play some impacts on the design of karp 
framework or KMP protocol. This draft may be also helpful for evaluating 
the vulnerabilities of current RP's security mechanisms. 

This work can be regarded as a gap analysis in phase I. We think this is 
the first step before we do the phase I and phase II work. We hope this 
draft will be helpful to future work in the KARP WG, and would like to 
hear comments from you all.

Best Regards!
Wei

Glen Kent <[email-masked]> 
2010-07-11 08:25

收件人
[email-masked]
抄送
opsec wg mailing list <[email-masked]>
主题
Re: [karp] please review draft-wei-karp-analysis-rp-sa-00.txt

2010/7/10 Glen Kent <[email-masked]>:
>> ZTE Information Security Notice: The information contained in this mail 
is solely property of the sender's organization. This mail communication 
is confidential. Recipients named above are obligated to maintain secrecy 
and are not permitted to disclose the contents of this communication to 
others.
>> This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and 
intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are 
addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the 
originator of the message. Any views expressed in this message are those 
of the individual sender.