Subject: [OPSEC] Document Action: 'Operational Security Considerations for IPv6 Networks' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-opsec-v6-27.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 12:18:03 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Operational Security Considerations for IPv6 Networks'
  (draft-ietf-opsec-v6-27.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Operational Security Capabilities for IP
Network Infrastructure Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Warren Kumari and Robert Wilton.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsec-v6/

Technical Summary

   Knowledge and experience on how to operate IPv4 networks securely is
   available: whether it is the Internet or an enterprise internal
   network.  However, IPv6 presents some new security challenges.  RFC
   4942 describes the security issues in the protocol, but network
   managers also need a more practical, operations-minded document to
   enumerate advantages and/or disadvantages of certain choices.

   This document analyzes the operational security issues associated
   with several types of network and proposes technical and procedural
   mitigation techniques.  This document is only applicable to managed
   networks, such as enterprise networks.  The recommendations in this
   document are not applicable to residential user cases, even in cases
   where a Service Provider may be managing the home gateway.

Working Group Summary

    A number of members in the working group other than the authors expressed support and contributed providing positive feedback to the document and are all listed in the acknowledgement section.  We have working group consensus to publish the document.  Nobody is against publishing the document. 

Document Quality

   This document was originally last called in 2019. It had a vigorous discussion, and that authors have addressed ~200 comments since then. The document is now clear and easy to read.

Personnel

   Gyan Mishra is the DS
   Warren Kumari is RAD!