Subject: [p2pi] ASN utility

From: Lisa Dusseault <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 10:54:27 -0700

When the IESG looked at the proposed ALTO charter last week, Dave had  
some comments about ASNs which I'd like to follow up on by dragging  
Dave into the conversation.

What I understand the ASN related suggestions so far to be, is to have  
the ALTO server return a list of ASN numbers to prefer or avoid.  This  
sort of information could only be provided by an ISP-operated ALTO  
server.  A peer, armed with this information, can do whatever they do  
today to figure
out which IP address falls in which ASN.  The P4P and Yale folks claim  
that returning a preference of ASNs helped their application  
tremendously.

Dave, was your concern about discovering ASN being unnecessary, or  
about ranking of ASNs being unhelpful?  Can you restate?

Thanks,
Lisa
_______________________________________________
p2pi mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2pi

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 16:38:30 -0400

On Sep 29, 2008, at 1:54 PM, Lisa Dusseault wrote:

>
>
> When the IESG looked at the proposed ALTO charter last week, Dave  
> had some comments about ASNs which I'd like to follow up on by  
> dragging Dave into the conversation.
>
> What I understand the ASN related suggestions so far to be, is to  
> have the ALTO server return a list of ASN numbers to prefer or  
> avoid.  This sort of information could only be provided by an ISP- 
> operated ALTO server.

Are you sure about that ?

A peer can (for example) query route views, or I (or a host of others)  
can send it BGP / address block tables. It would not be hard to  
collate address information with ASN and ASN paths and draw  
conclusions. I don't see why an ISP is necessarily involved.

Regards
Marshall

> A peer, armed with this information, can do whatever they do today  
> to figure
> out which IP address falls in which ASN.  The P4P and Yale folks  
> claim that returning a preference of ASNs helped their application  
> tremendously.
>

---

From: David Ward <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 15:50:40 -0500

Marshall -

I mentioned that this is one deployment model and is as it works  
today but, the charter is unclear if they want to support any other  
model. I do think it is considerably harder to deduce a current  
AS_path from simple prefix -> ASN information.

-DWard

On Oct 21, 2008, at 3:38 PM, Marshall Eubanks wrote:

> A peer can (for example) query route views, or I (or a host of  
> others) can send it BGP / address block tables. It would not be  
> hard to collate address information with ASN and ASN paths and draw