Subject: [P2PSIP] NAT traversal alternative

From: Miika Komu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 11:58:14 +0200 (EET)

Hi all,

I proposed this as an alternative for ICE at the mike:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-hip-nat-traversal-01.txt

    This document specifies extensions to Host Identity Protocol (HIP) to
    support traversal of Network Address Translator (NAT) middleboxes.
    The traversal mechanism tunnels HIP control and data traffic over UDP
    and enables HIP initiators which MAY be behind NATs to contact HIP
    responders which MAY be behind another NAT.

The draft is based on doing UDP hole punching with HIP key exchange. It 
assumes rendezvous servers ("nat supernodes") when a host is behind a NAT 
and the host wants to accept incoming connections.

HIP provides a new cryptographic namespace for applications and protects 
the communications using IPsec. When this is combined with NAT traversal, 
we get the following benefits:

* Transparent NAT traversal for SIP connections
* Transparent security for SIP connections
* Identify peer hosts (or users) behind NATs using a global namespace
* Public key based authentication
   * Hashes of public keys can be used for ACLs (applications see these
     instead of IP addresses)

-- 
Miika Komu                                       http://www.iki.fi/miika/

_______________________________________________
P2PSIP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2psip