Subject: [P2PSIP] P2PSIP Client Protocol - How to find Adapter/SIP Proxy

From: "Juwei Shi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 22:16:53 +0800

It is discussed in today's WG session that P2PSIP clients could associate
with client adapters (using P2PSIP-C) or SIP proxies (using SIP). Note that
both the client adapter and SIP proxy are logical components of P2PSIP Peer.
Then, both the two schemes need to allocate P2PSIP Clients to P2PSIP Peers.
One approach is randomly or manually associate P2PSIP Clients with P2PSIP
Peers. The alternative is to associate a P2PSIP Client with a specific
P2PSIP Peer which is responsible for that client (client's resource-ID)
according to the DHT algorithm. The advantage of the later approach is that
the load of P2PSIP Peers can be balanced benefiting from the DHT mechanisms.

If we adopt the later scheme, the DHT must allow applications to know and
access to the DHT node responsible for a specific key. The problem here is
that some DHT interfaces such as the PUT/GET interface proposed in OpenDHT
does not support this DHT node access and application does not know which is
the DHT node responsible for its resources. Thus the LOOKUP interface is
needed in this scenario. 

ReDiR in OpenDHT proposes to implement LOOKUP interface using PUT/GET
interface. This may be useful for P2PSIP if the PUT/GET interface is defined
as the common DHT interface.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------

Appendix: The PUT/GET and LOOKUP API

PUT/GET:

void put(key, value)     // Put a {key, value} pair into the overlay

value_t get(key)           // Get the key of a key

LOOKUP:

void join(node_IP)       // join the DHT overlay as a service node

addr_t lookup(key)       // return the IP address of the DHT node which is

                                      //  responsible for the input key

BR

Juwei

_______________________________________________
P2PSIP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2psip