Subject: [P2PSIP] Version -04 of Concepts draft available

From: Philip Matthews <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 11:46:31 -0500

Folks:

David Bryan, Eunsoo Shim, Dean Willis, and myself have published a  
new version
of the Concepts draft.

This version is a major rewrite. It was pretty clear that there was a  
lot of internal
inconsistencies in the previous version, and thus a major rewrite was  
necessary.
At the same time, the ideas of the working group have advanced since  
we started
this document, and we tried to capture these new ideas in the document.

Our goal with this document remains to capture a high-level view of what
the working group is thinking. To this end, we plan to continue  
revising this document
as the work of the group progresses.

Many thanks to everyone who sent comments on the previous version, or  
who
commented on the open issues and proposed changes over the past two  
months.
These comments really helped us with this revision!

We would like to especially thank Spencer Dawkins and Eric Cooper for  
reviewing
a preliminary copy of the revision and making many detailed comments  
that helped
us improve it.

When I checked a few minutes ago, the new version was still not in the
internet-drafts directory. Until it appears, you can access it from  
my personal
website at
    http://www.magma.ca/~philip_matthews
I have put both txt and html versions of the document up on the site.

Below is a brief summary of the major changes:
* Major rewrite. Perhaps 70% of the text is new.
* Replaced the previous term "Resource (User)" with new terms "User",  
"Service"
   and "Resource". A User is a human, a Service is an action that a peer
   (and perhaps a client) does for the benefit of other peers and  
clients,
   and Resource is anything that we store information about in the  
distributed
   database.
* Added the concept of a "Peer Protocol Connection" and "Client  
Protocol Connection"
   to be the TCP, UDP or other transport layer connection that the  
Peer (or Client) protocols
   run over.
* Added the concept of an "admitting peer" and "joining peer". The  
joining peer
   is the peer that wishes to join the overlay. It first contacts a  
bootstrap peer, and the
   bootstrap peer helps it contact a "admitting peer", which is the  
peer that helps it
   join the overlay.
* Removed the concepts of "enrollment" and instead said that  
obtaining a peer-ID
   or user name, and associated credentials is out-of-scope, but that  
the WG would
   likely standardize one or more formats for these.
* Gave 4 different examples of how the distributed database might be  
used to
   allow users to register and make calls. These examples replace the  
examples that
   were in the previous version.
* Added a new section on approaches for solving the NAT Traversal  
problem.
* Added a new section that discusses the various proposals for the  
role of a client.
* Added a new section that (briefly) discusses how an overlay might  
interact with
   the Client/Server SIP world.
* Trimmed the "Questions" section and reworded those questions that  
still remain.
* Added  an "Open Issues" section that lists the problems and issues  
that we still
   know about in the document.

- Philip

_______________________________________________
P2PSIP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2psip