Subject: Re: [P2PSIP] What does "Super" mean

From: Philip Matthews <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 12:22:54 -0400

On 21-Mar-07, at 10:22 , Cullen Jennings wrote:

>
> I want to have a debate and straighten out the usage of Super Peer.  
> We keep seeming to agree on the idea that a node that is not behind  
> a nat is not what the p2p sip literature meant by super node, then  
> in the next set of documentation, we end up using this word again.  
> This is going to be horribly confusing the first time we introduce  
> a DHT algorithm that uses the word super node in the DHT algorithm.
>
> I want to sort this out and fix our documentation on how we use  
> this word. Clearly I would prefer that we did not use the word  
> "Super" to mean not behind a NAT but I'm glad to do whatever the  
> group agrees on.
>

Cullen:

In my opinion, neither the NAT Traversal presentation
at the P2PSIP session last week, nor any the four drafts that I co- 
authored
for the Prague meeting, use the word "super-peer" to mean a peer which
is "not behind a NAT".

Rather, they use the word "super-peer" to mean
	A peer with extra responsibilities that plays a special role in the  
NAT Traversal
	solution for the P2PSIP overlay. A necessary, but not necessarily  
sufficient, condition for being a super-peer
	is that all super-peers must be in the same address space (often,  
but not always,
	the public Internet), and a non-super-peer (= "ordinary peer") must  
be able to
	establish a connection with any super-peer using standard "client- 
server" connection
	mechanisms.
The above is not the clearest definition of what I mean,  and it is  
obvious
from your question that neither the presentation nor the drafts got  
this idea across.

Do you think it is OK if we simply clarify what is meant by the  
"super-peer" architecture
or do you think we need to introduce terms for nodes that either are  
or are not in the globally
routable address space?

- Philip

_______________________________________________
P2PSIP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2psip