Subject: [P2PSIP] New I-D: draft-birkos-p2psip-security-key-refresh-00.txt

From: Konstantinos Birkos <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 17:04:05 +0200

Dear all,

A new Internet Draft entitled "Security Mechanisms and Key Refresh for 
P2PSIP Overlays" has been submitted.  It can be accessed at:

http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-birkos-p2psip-security-key-refresh-00.txt

(filename: draft-birkos-p2psip-security-key-refresh-00)
In this draft we present security extensions regarding the refreshment 
of the keying material and the certificates used by the peers in the 
P2PSIP overlay. Your comments on the proposed mechanisms would be highly 
appreciated. In addition, I would be glad to make a small presentation 
and discuss it in the upcoming IETF 77 meeting.

Kind Regards,
Konstantinos Birkos

---

From: Xiaofeng Qiu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 14:54:03 -0500

I doubt the necessity of genearl encryption rules proposed in this draft.
Due to the distributed structure of P2P overlay, most nodes in the overlay
are in the same security level. We only need to prevent eavesdropping from
outside of overlay. So, confidentiality provided by encrypting messages with
public key of recipient will be costly and unnecessary.
A public secure channel for routing and management messages among overlay
nodes may be more efficient with resonable confidentiality. This public
secure channel can be established by the shared key among the overlay nodes.

Xiaofeng Qiu
MINE Lab, BUPT

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 10:04 AM, Konstantinos Birkos <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> In this draft we present security extensions regarding the refreshment of
> the keying material and the certificates used by the peers in the P2PSIP
> overlay. Your comments on the proposed mechanisms would be highly
> appreciated. In addition, I would be glad to make a small presentation and
> discuss it in the upcoming IETF 77 meeting.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Konstantinos Birkos
>
> _______________________________________________
> P2PSIP mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2psip
>