Subject: [P2PSIP] question about client routing specified at sec 3.2.1 in RELOAD Base

From: JeffreyHo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 16:48:20 +0800

Dear all, 

As specified at sec. 3.2.1 client routing in RELOAD Base, 
"Establish a connection to the peer responsible for the client's Node-ID in
the overlay.  Then requests may be sent from/to the client using its Node-ID
in the same manner as if it were a peer, because the responsible peer in the
overlay will handle the final step of routing to the client.  This will not
work in overlays where NATs or firewalls prevent clients from forming
connections with other peers."
I would like to ask why such limitation exists, I mean "This will not work
in overlays where NATs or firewalls prevent clients from forming connections
with other peers". Doesn't a client establish a connection to the peer
responsible for the client's Node-ID via the same manner of Attach request
as if it were a peer? So in case the client behind NATs or firewalls fails
to form connection with the responsible peer, but even a peer it will
probably occur such situation when it wants to establish connection with
some peers, doesn't it? Couldn't a client form connection with the
responsible peer the same as a peer does? 

Any response is welcome. Thanks in advance.

BR,
Jeffrey

本信件可能包含工研院機密資訊，非指定之收件者，請勿使用或揭露本信件內容，並請銷毀此信件。
This email may contain confidential information. Please do not use or disclose it in any way and delete it if you are not the intended recipient.

---

From: World <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 09:57:03 +0800 (CST)

Any correction, comments or explanation about this question? 
Many thanks.
--- 10/3/1 (一)，JeffreyHo <[email-masked]> 寫道：

寄件者: JeffreyHo <[email-masked]>
主旨: [P2PSIP] question about client routing specified at sec 3.2.1 in RELOAD Base
收件者: [email-masked]
日期: 2010年3月1日,一,下午4:48

Dear all, 
As specified at sec. 3.2.1 client routing in RELOAD Base, 
"Establish a connection to the peer responsible for the client's Node-ID in the overlay.  Then requests may be sent from/to the client using its Node-ID in the same manner as if it were a peer, because the responsible peer in the overlay will handle the final step of routing to the client.  This will not work in overlays where NATs or firewalls prevent clients from forming connections with other peers."
I would like to ask why such limitation exists, I mean "This will not work in overlays where NATs or firewalls prevent clients from forming connections with other peers". Doesn't a client establish a connection to the peer responsible for the client's Node-ID via the same manner of Attach request as if it were a peer? So in case the client behind NATs or firewalls fails to form connection with the responsible peer, but even a peer it will probably occur such situation when it wants to establish connection with some peers, doesn't it? Couldn't a client form connection with the responsible peer the same as a peer does? 
Any response is welcome. Thanks in advance. 
BR, 
Jeffrey 

-----內含下列夾帶檔案-----

_______________________________________________
P2PSIP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2psip

---

From: Bruce Lowekamp <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 22:15:37 -0800

I've replaced the sentence that begins with "This may not work..." with
"This may  require a TURN relay in cases where NATs or firewalls  prevent a
client from forming a direct connections with its responsible peer."

Bruce

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 5:57 PM, World <[email-masked]> wrote:

> --- *10/3/1 (一)，JeffreyHo <[email-masked]>* 寫道：
>
>
> "Establish a connection to the peer responsible for the client's Node-ID
> in the overlay.  Then requests may be sent from/to the client using its
> Node-ID in the same manner as if it were a peer, because the responsible
> peer in the overlay will handle the final step of routing to the client.
> This will not work in overlays where NATs or firewalls prevent clients
> from forming connections with other peers."
> in overlays where NATs or firewalls prevent clients from forming
> connections with other peers". Doesn't a client establish a connection to
> the peer responsible for the client's Node-ID via the same manner of
> Attach request as if it were a peer? So in case the client behind NATs or
> firewalls fails to form connection with the responsible peer, but even a
> peer it will probably occur such situation when it wants to establish
> connection with some peers, doesn't it? Couldn't a client form connection
> with the responsible peer the same as a peer does?
> This email may contain confidential information. Please do not use or
> disclose it in any way and delete it if you are not the intended recipient.
>
> -----內含下列夾帶檔案-----
>
> [email-masked]<http://tw.mc723.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=[email-masked]>