Subject: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pkix-cmp-tcp-00.txt

From: Michael Zolotarev <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 12:47:10 +1000

The draft does not define any particular behavior for the client on
receiving the errorMsgRep. I guess it should be more specific.

Should the client: 
a)Close the connection regardless of the value of the 'close' bit
b)Close the connection only if the 'close' bit is set

Should it mundate the server to set the 'close' bit when replying with the
errorMsgRep?

In general: can the connection be used after the server replied with the
errorMsgRep?

To me, the simplest and inambigouos approach wold be (a), and the server IS
REQUIRED to set the 'close' bit when replying with the errorMsgRep.

MichaelZ

---

From: Ronald Tschal�r <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 11:38:57 -0700 (PDT)

> receiving the errorMsgRep. I guess it should be more specific.

The behaviour is the same as for any other message.

> a)Close the connection regardless of the value of the 'close' bit

No!

> b)Close the connection only if the 'close' bit is set

Yes.

> Should it mundate the server to set the 'close' bit when replying with the

No. The server may decide if it wants to close the connection or not. The
protocol is defined in such a way that the full size of the request is known
(and the complete request can therefore be read and possibly thrown away)
even if, say, an unknown message-type or version is encountered. So, unless
something goes really wrong, the server can usually safely keep the connection
open.

> In general: can the connection be used after the server replied with the

Absolutely.

  Cheers,

  Ronald