Subject: UK Decryption & Interception policy: "Scrambling for Safety 3.5", 23/9/99

From: "Caspar Bowden" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 14:45:57 +0100

PLEASE CIRCULATE TO THOSE THAT MIGHT BE INTERESTED
(APOLOGIES FOR ANY DUPLICATION)

Scrambling for Safety 3.5 - Thursday September 23 1999
======================================================
http://www.fipr.org/sfs35.html

The Foundation for Information Policy Research, Privacy International and
the LSE Computer Security Research Centre are jointly sponsoring the fourth
in the series of public conferences on cryptography policy, e-commerce and
Internet surveillance. This will be the second conference of 1999, and has
been called in response to the exceptional circumstance of two official DTI
consultations in the same year, and the Home Office's recent consultation on
revising the Interception of Communications Act to cover the Internet.

Admission is free of charge.

09:15 - 13:30, Thursday 23 September 1999

Old Theatre, Main Building,
London School of Economics,
Houghton St., London WC2
(for directions, check links on the Website)

Registration: Send e-mail to

 [email-masked]

with "name, organisation" in body. Telephone enquiries: 0171 354 2333

The connections between Home Office policy on interception and powers
proposed in Part.III of the DTI's draft Electronic Communications Bill
(closing date for responses 8th October) will be explored, and well as
the legal framework for establishing voluntary licensing of cryptography
services, and recognition of digital signatures.

Provisional Programme :
======================================================================
(Timing and speakers likely to change :
please check frequently for updates - http://www.fipr.org/sfs35.html )
======================================================================
09.25 Welcome - Caspar Bowden, FIPR

09:30 Internet Service Providers Association (invited)
 Alliance for Electronic Business: Progress towards self-regulation

10:00 "Cryptography, privacy and information warfare"
 - Whitfield Diffie

10:30 "Why we needed further consultation"
 - Alan Duncan MP, Shadow spokesman on Trade and Industry

11:00 "Cryptography's central role in e-commerce policy"
 - Chris Sundt, CBI

11:30 "Law enforcement access to keys - legal and human rights issues"
 - Nicholas Bohm (Law Society)

12:00 Keynote: Patricia Hewitt MP
 - Minister of State for E-Commerce at the DTI

12:45 Panel discussion
 - Jim Norton (Cabinet Office PIU)
 - Stephen Pride (DTI)
 - Peter Sommer (Special Adviser to T&I Sel Ctee)
 - Clare Wardle (Post Office)
 - LIBERTY
 - Jack Beatson QC (Essex Court Chambers)
 - Stewart Baker (Steptoe & Johnson, ex-NSA General Counsel)

13:30 close
============