Subject: [pkng] json-dsig anyone?

From: Leif Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 19:35:16 +0100

I've been thinking that whatever pkng winds up looking like it will 
probably have to be easily integratable in front channel interfaces
and support multiple representations. Today that means json...

I started to look for evidence for work on "json-dsig" and found
this:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Canonical_JSON

Does anyone have contacts into OPLC and/or know something about this
stuff and why they'd be interested?

	Cheers Leif

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 13:38:50 -0700

At 7:35 PM +0100 3/21/10, Leif Johansson wrote:
>I've been thinking that whatever pkng winds up looking like it will probably have to be easily integratable in front channel interfaces

As everyone should remember, "formats" is for later, not now. Having said that, it is well worth being sure that a format we might want to use can be canonicalized, and that maybe someoe has thought about how to associate a signature with a blob.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium

---

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 21:14:29 -0700

On 21 Mar 2010, at 13:38, Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]> wrote:

> As everyone should remember, "formats" is for later, not now.

Eh ... What is "for now" again? Hard to recall with so little  
happening. Maybe letting formatters run free might help?
(not a criticism since I also probably promised to do stuff but just a  
suggestion)

S

> Having said that, it is well worth being sure that a format we might  
> want to use can be canonicalized, and that maybe someoe has thought  
> about how to associate a signature with a blob.
>
> --Paul Hoffman, Director
> --VPN Consortium
> _______________________________________________
> pkng mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/pkng

---

From: Leif Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 19:16:29 +0100

> Eh ... What is "for now" again? Hard to recall with so little happening.
> Maybe letting formatters run free might help?

Personally I think this question is a consequence of the "must be easier 
to deploy" requirement. I ass u me :-) that something might
look like a signature of something which might have to live in the
browser and I don't think that is jumping too far ahead quite
frankly :-)

	Cheers Leif

---

From: Leif Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 22:30:58 +0100

> browser and I don't think that is jumping too far ahead quite

Found this 
http://salmon-protocol.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/draft-panzer-magicsig-00.html

	Cheers Leif

---

From: Massimiliano Pala <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 11:24:37 -0400

Hello PK-NGers,

I think that the issue everyone is bringing up is the need to have a way
to make PK easier than it is now. My take on this is that we need to have
a Public Key System (PKS) which should be capable of providing support
for (1) PK deployers, (2) developers (by facilitating interactions among
different parts of PKI) and (3) the users (by providing easy-to-use
interfaces).

I would say that we shall avoid the lack of vision that happened with the
"normal" PKIs. As a metaphor, we might say that in PKIs we are now still
trying to use a host.txt file instead of setting up a DNS.. and we all
know how difficult that might be - especially in open environments like
the Internet. My proposal is to provide a support infrastructure (sevice)
for easy deployment of PK systems (or trust infrastructures ?)

I am going to submit a new draft soon about the basics of the PKS that
should allow to support any PK-based system, no matter if it is X.509
based (to allow the usage of X509) or any other standard as long as it
is based on some sort of "signed" assertion (e.g., a certificate or a
signed key) and, of course, public keys :D

Is anybody interested in the idea ? Please let me know..

Cheers,
Max

---

From: Leif Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 18:37:47 +0100

> Is anybody interested in the idea ? Please let me know..

yes!

	Cheers Leif