Subject: [Pppext] [rt.icann.org #3528] FW: General Request for Assignments (ppp-numbers)

From: "Michelle Cotton via RT" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 16:30:11 -0700 (PDT)

Attn: PPPEXT Working Group

The IANA has received the below request for a PPP ECP configuration 
option type.  The registry can be found at the following:
http://www.iana.org/assignments/ppp-numbers

We are forwarding this to the working group for an expert review as 
this was suggested by our IANA official PPP expert.
Can we please have the WG Chair respond to the IANA on what the 
consensus is and how the IANA should move forward?  

Thank you,

Michelle Cotton
IANA

> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 4:46 AM
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: General Request for Assignments
> 
> Contact Name :
> Mohamed Ali SFAXI
> 
> Contact Email :
> [email-masked]
> 
> Type of Assignment :
> BB84 Quantum key distribution (QKD)
> 
> Registry :
> PPP ECP configuration option type
> 
> Description :
> The ECP (in PPP) gives the possibility to select the encryption 
algorithm
> and its parameters. This ensures the confidentiality and the 
integrity of
> the PPP frame. The weakness of this use resides in the way of 
generating and
> exchanging the encryption key. In fact, for all the encryption 
algorithms
> the secret key is assumed to be already shared between the 
communicating
> parties. Using QKD,  the two linked nodes exchange the secret key and
> because of the use of the quantum technologies, this exchange is
> unconditional secure.
> 
> Additional Info :
> BB84 : Bennet, C; Brassard, G (1984). IEEE International Conference on
> Computers, Systems,and Signal Processing. IEEE Press, LOS ALAMITOS 
Mayers, D
> (1998). "Unconditionnal Security in Quantum Cryptography". J. 
Assoc.Comput.
> Math. 48, 351

_______________________________________________
Pppext mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pppext

---

From: James Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 08:01:45 -0400

> http://www.iana.org/assignments/ppp-numbers

Unfortunately, Vern's RFC 3818 doesn't cover ECP assignments, so it
appears we're still stuck with expert review.  That means we need to
discuss it here and report consensus back.

> > because of the use of the quantum technologies, this exchange is

I read through BB84, and it appears to be a key-exchange protocol, not
an encryption algorithm.  Also, it appears to work only with direct
access to physical media and not with the regular bit stream that PPP
itself requires.  Thus, I suspect it may not be really appropriate as
an ECP option, though I suppose it may open up a possibly interesting
discussion about whether we *should* talk about key distribution as an
ECP option.  (Whether of the ordinary algorithmic sort, or the more
hand-wavy x-files area-51 "quantum" sort.)

-- 
James Carlson, KISS Network                    <[email-masked]>
Sun Microsystems / 1 Network Drive         71.232W   Vox +1 781 442 2084
MS UBUR02-212 / Burlington MA 01803-2757   42.496N   Fax +1 781 442 1677

---

From: Vernon Schryver <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 07:53:53 -0600 (MDT)

> From: James Carlson <[email-masked]>

> discuss it here and report consensus back.

My now vague recollections are that 3818 does not mention ECP because
a similar document was advanced specifically for ECP.  I can't seem
to find it in the RFC index.

> hand-wavy x-files area-51 "quantum" sort.)

Where did you read about BB84 for PPP?  

My first thought when I read the message from Michelle Cotton was that
someone is playing a practical joke on the IANA.  It is possible that
someone sane seriously wants to do PPP with quantum cryptography, but
I'd like to see an I-D or at least something more substantial than the
short note from Mohamed Ali.

There have been some serious quantum cryptography efforts that I'd not
call hand-wavy x-files area-51, but they've all been a little "academic"
as opposed to "industrial."  Before the IANA fires up a registry, there
must be an IETF protocol that would use it.  So where is the I-D?

Vernon Schryver    [email-masked]

---

From: James Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:45:28 -0400

> to find it in the RFC index.

Nor could I.

> Where did you read about BB84 for PPP?  

I just read about BB84, not its use with PPP, but it seems fairly
clear to me that since BB84 needs access to a physical layer transport
between peers, it's not *just* an ECP option.

> short note from Mohamed Ali.

I agree.  It seemed dubious to me.

> must be an IETF protocol that would use it.  So where is the I-D?

So, let's have a hum of agreement.  Anyone disagree that we should ask
to see the I-D published before the code point is assigned?

---

From: Ignacio Goyret <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:31:58 -0700

>to see the I-D published before the code point is assigned?

Agreed. Let's see the I-D first.

---

From: Clint Chaplin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 05:04:56 -0700

Rotary Engine.

-- 
Clint (JOATMON) Chaplin
Wireless Security Technologist
Wireless Standards Manager

---

From: James Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 08:20:51 -0400

OK, that's sufficient.  I'm going to call that agreement.  ;-}

IANA: please notify the submitter that the PPPEXT Working Group would
like to see an Internet Draft published before we agree to the
allocation of a code point within the PPP ECP option space for this
new keying mechanism.