Subject: [Pppext] About "Prefix elision" in RFC 2686(MC-ML-PPP)

From: Wang Hui 10128 <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 09:49:31 +0800

Hi All:

   In RFC 2686 "The Multi-Class Extension to Multi-Link PPP", it describes:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
>   5.  Prefix elision: Compressing common header bytes
>
>   For some applications, all packets of a certain class will have a
>   common protocol identifier (or even more than one common prefix
>   byte).  In this case, the following optimization is possible: the
>   class number can be associated with a prefix of bytes that are
>   removed from each packet before transmission and that are implicitly
>   prepended to the reassembled packet after reception.
>
>   Prefix elision is not a replacement for header compression or data
>   compression: it allows implementations to compress away prefixes that
>   often are not reachable by header or data compression methods.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
   For normal ip packets, "protocol id"+"ip header"+"data", maybe we can
 remove only one byte or two bytes (protocol id); It's not very useful.
   And, when we remove the configed prefix from these packets, if the packets
not include the same "prefix", should we discard the packet? 

   Do anybody know some other applications about this "Prefix elision" ?
Are there any devices implement the MC  "Prefix elision" ? 

   Thanks very much!

Regards
WangHui

_______________________________________________
Pppext mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pppext