Subject: [Pppext] Handoff between PPP networks using MIPv6

From: Ashutosh Dutta <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 10:58:51 -0500

Hi,
    I am not sure if it is the right forum. But, I am sending this 
email, since this is related to PPP community. Please excuse me if this 
email should not below here.

Has anybody tried handing off from one PPP network to another PPP 
network using MIPv6 in an IPv6 network. We seem to have the following 
problem:

- When we have MIPv6 module on, it does not allow us to bring the PPP 
interface down. We need to reboot the system.

Thanks
Ashutosh

_______________________________________________
Pppext mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pppext

---

From: William Allen Simpson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 13:02:04 -0500

> interface down. We need to reboot the system.
You don't give enough information, such as OS, provider, etc.

When I originally designed MIPv6 (it came first, and I later back-ported
it to v4), it was designed with inter-system handoff in mind.  As a new
system is detected, the new system should send a new LCP configure request.
There is no need to administratively bring the interface down, the PPP
state machine should smoothly handle it.

I'm sorry that more recent specifications and implementations are not
well designed.

---

From: James Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 13:15:04 -0500

> interface down. We need to reboot the system.

It sounds to me like you should be contacting the vendor or author of
the software you're using.  I don't see what the issue you're
describing has to do with PPP (the protocol) itself.

-- 
James Carlson, Solaris Networking              <[email-masked]>
Sun Microsystems / 1 Network Drive         71.232W   Vox +1 781 442 2084
MS UBUR02-212 / Burlington MA 01803-2757   42.496N   Fax +1 781 442 1677