Subject: [Pppext] FW: IPR notice [resend]

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 22:52:56 +0200

For some reason James has been having problems getting his message 
through, but he wanted to send the below message for information. Sorry 
for the delay in getting this out, we did not realize the message had 
gone missing.

Jari

From: James Carlson
Subject: IPR notice [resend]
Date: 01/07/2009 03:49 PM

(An earlier copy of this message seems not to have gone through
properly; I'm resending just once.)

I received the following notice from the IETF Secretariat, and as it
appears to involve an RFC that is a working group product, I'm
forwarding the notice to the list.

Subject: Posting of IPR Disclosure
From: IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 15:36:08 -0800 (PST)
To: [email-masked]
CC: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]

Dear William Simpson:

An IPR disclosure that pertains to your RFC entitled "PPP Challenge 
Handshake
Authentication Protocol (CHAP)" (RFC1994) was submitted to the IETF 
Secretariat
on 2008-12-23 and has been posted on the "IETF Page of Intellectual Property
Rights Disclosures" (https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/ipr_list.cgi). The
title of the IPR disclosure is "Juniper's Statement of IPR related to 
RFC 1994."

The IETF Secretariat

_______________________________________________
Pppext mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pppext

---

From: William Allen Simpson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 05:50:32 -0500

Jari Arkko wrote:
> To: [email-masked] ...
> 
> Dear William Simpson:
> 
I wish the secretariate did a better job of handling changes of address, by
my later published RFCs....  My greendragon account was closed years ago.
Hopefully, they're not still sending to morningstar, or telebit, or stanford,
or cornell, or umich, or oakland, or msu -- and you'd think they'd notice the
bounces, and resend to a more current address!

Anyway, at the current time, the referenced listing says:

2008-12-23  	1060  	 Juniper's Statement of IPR related to RFC 1994
This IPR disclosure was removed at the request of the submitter.

I have no idea whatever this might have been, as the CHAP protocol concept
and various implementations go back to the '70s!
_______________________________________________
Pppext mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pppext

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 06:55:49 -0800

The IPR declaration looks like it has been removed at the request of the original sender. 

----------------------------------------
> Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 05:50:32 -0500
> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]
> CC: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Pppext] FW: IPR notice [resend]
>
> Jari Arkko wrote:
>> From: IETF Secretariat

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 21:38:34 +0200

Bernard,

> The IPR declaration looks like it has been removed at the request of the original sender. 

Interesting. I can still see the declaration listed in my search 
results, but when I click on the link, it says page not found. I think 
the user interface needs some work...

Anyway, for background I sent some feedback to the IPR holders and told 
them that just looking at IETF history this particular protocol seemed 
to go back at least 18 years and probably more -- I-D archives and 
Google ran out of steam at that point -- and suggested that the 
declaration might be an error. If the declaration has indeed been pulled 
by the original sender, then maybe it is an indication that they no 
longer believe they have IPR on RFC 1994?

Jari