Subject: Re: [precis] Ben Campbell's Yes on draft-ietf-precis-nickname-18: (with COMMENT)

From: Peter Saint-Andre - &yet <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2015 11:56:32 -0600

On 8/31/15 10:50 PM, Ben Campbell wrote:
> Ben Campbell has entered the following ballot position for
> draft-ietf-precis-nickname-18: Yes
>
> When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
> email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
> introductory paragraph, however.)
>
>
> Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
> for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.
>
>
> The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-precis-nickname/
>
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> COMMENT:
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Yay! Just a few nits:
>
> -- Abstract:
> The abstract could be beefed up against? Maybe say what a nickname is in
> this context?
> [Edit: "Against"?  I meant "a bit".]

Good idea.

> -- 1.1, first paragraph: "...participants to specify a nickname ..."
> Plural agreement mismatch.

Noted.

> -- 1.1, 2nd paragraph:
> People really use "petname" for this? Who knew?

Yes. Perhaps a pointer to 
http://www.skyhunter.com/marcs/petnames/IntroPetNames.html would be helpful?

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://andyet.com/

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre - &yet <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2015 13:44:47 -0600

>> [Edit: "Against"?  I meant "a bit".]

I suggest:

    This document describes methods for handling Unicode strings
    representing memorable, human-friendly names (variously called
    "nicknames", "display names", or "petnames") for people, devices,
    accounts, websites, and other entities.

> http://www.skyhunter.com/marcs/petnames/IntroPetNames.html would be

I think Section 1.1 could use a bit of clarification through regarding 
terminology, something like the following...

###

    A number of technologies and applications provide the ability for a
    person to choose a memorable, human-friendly name in a communications
    context, or to set such a name for another entity entity such as a
    device, account, contact, or website.  Such names are variously
    called "nicknames" (e.g., in chatroom applications), "display names"
    (e.g., in Internet mail), or "petnames" (see [1]); for consistency,
    these are all called "nicknames" in this document.

    Nicknames are commonly supported in technologies for textual
    chatrooms, e.g., Internet Relay Chat [RFC2811] and multi-party chat
    technologies based on the Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol
    (XMPP) [RFC6120] [XEP-0045], the Message Session Relay Protocol
    (MSRP) [RFC4975] [I-D.ietf-simple-chat], and Centralized Conferencing
    (XCON) [RFC5239] [I-D.boulton-xcon-session-chat].  Recent chatroom
    technologies also allow internationalized nicknames because they
    support characters from outside the ASCII range [RFC20], typically by
    means of the Unicode character set [Unicode].  Although such
    nicknames tend to be used primarily for display purposes, they are
    sometimes used for programmatic purposes as well (e.g., kicking users
    or avoiding nickname conflicts).

    A similar usage enables a person to set their own preferred display
    name or to set a preferred display name for another user (e.g., the
    "display-name" construct in the Internet message format [RFC5322] and
    [XEP-0172] in XMPP).

    Memorable, human-friendly names are also used in contexts other than
    personal messaging, such as names for devices (e.g., in a network
    visualization application), websites (e.g., for bookmarks in a web
    browser), accounts (e.g., in a web interface for a list of payees in
    a bank account), people (e.g., in a contact list application), and
    the like.

    The rules specified in this document can be applied in all of the
    foregoing contexts.

    To increase the likelihood that memorable, human-friendly names will
    work in ways that make sense for typical users throughout the world,
    this document defines rules for preparing, enforcing, and comparing
    internationalized nicknames.

...

[1] http://www.skyhunter.com/marcs/petnames/IntroPetNames.html

###

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://andyet.com/

---

From: "Ben Campbell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2015 15:22:23 -0500

On 1 Sep 2015, at 14:44, Peter Saint-Andre - &yet wrote:

[...]

> accounts, websites, and other entities.

That WFM.

[...]
> internationalized nicknames.

That also WFM. (And for the record, I really didn't expect my "petname" 
observation to be actionable. But I like the proposed text.)