Subject: [proto-team] Russ's Discuss on the doc shepherding draft

From: Allison Mankin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 15:02:11 -0800

Russ,

I think it makes sense to add those words to the Write-Up about checking
that RFC 4107 concerns are handled, because we have asked this to be
an explicit matter in protocols.  I don't think will always be 
a question in the Write-Up from similar BCPs, even though that BCP might
incur review requirements:  but maybe I'm wrong.  Maybe on the web we'll
need a Write-Up with pull down menus (answer all the questions that 
apply :).  

"The initial Document Write-Up is included here, but changes are
expected over time"

We intended to do this with a web-based one.  I've been the block
for launching the web content, I'm afraid, though I also want input
for the right place for the page, that's one of my issues.

Where will it be intuitive to look for the updated Write-Up, if you're
a shepherd?  What do you think?

Allison

_______________________________________________
proto-team mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/proto-team

---

From: Allison Mankin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 16:19:54 -0800

Russ,

Thanks for the good suggestion of where to put the template.
When we put up the template (shortly, I hope), I want to
emulate ID-checklist and include the contact info of
the maintainer(s) and some view of how it is updated.

How does the following language strike you for clearing
your DISCUSS?  (The URL is a parallel to ID-checklist).

Section 3.1

OLD:
There are two parts to this task.  First, the Document Shepherd 
answers questions (1.a) to (1.i) below to give the Responsible Area
Director insight into the working group process that applied to
this document.

NEW:
There are two parts to this task, the "Document Shepherd Write-Up" 
and the "Document Announcement Write-Up".  The Document Shepherd 
Write-Up consists of a template of questions to give the Responsible
Area Director insight into the working group process that applied 
to the document.  The template is maintained on the web, in similar 
fashion to the ID-checklist called out in (1.g) below.  The template
at the time of this writing is published here.  The current Write-Up
template is maintained by the IETF at http://www.ietf.org/Doc-Writeup.html
(and a link to it is provided among IETF WG Chair resources).

Allison

> 
> Date:    Fri, 17 Nov 2006 20:09:29 EST
> To:      [email-masked],[email-masked]
> cc:      [email-masked],[email-masked]
> From:    Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: Russ's Discuss on the doc shepherding draft
> 
> 
> Allison:
> 
> I do not want you to add any words to the template now.  We have been 
> using the current template very effectively.  I just expect that it 
> will need to be changed at some point, for RFC 4107 or for something 
> else.  The real point of my DISCUSS is that I do not want to change 
> an RFC in order to change the template.
> 
> I think the same directory where we have ID-Checklist makes sense.
> 
> Russ
> 
> At 06:02 PM 11/17/2006, Allison Mankin wrote:
> 
> >Russ,
> >

---

From: Allison Mankin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 08:23:41 -0800

Brian,

I can add the IANA experts matter to Personnel - good catch.

> Try http://www.ietf.org/IESG/content/Doc-Writeup.txt for now.
> Is that the right material? (txt is so much easier to maintain
> than html.)

Hmm.  "For now"?  This document is for a long time, so we'll have to
have a forward pointer if we move it, so this should a quite stable
location.

Otherwise OK, assuming one more thing - let's put the template there
now, before we put the new draft out.  OK?

I would vote for the html format.  We just develop and store xml
source (as its maintainers) and output html via xml2rfc.  html is
much nicer to read online.  I think we want it be as user-friendly
as the ID-checklist.

Onwards and upwards :)

Allison

---

From: Allison Mankin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 15:37:33 -0800

Hi, Henrik,

Here's something I also suggested in a side message to Brian.

  - txt for some users

  - an html presentation for other users

  - a form for still other users.  The output of this form would
    be the Write-Up as txt email to the ADs and the WG Chairs.
    If the only mandatory input to the form was the document
    string, the ADs/Chairs email addresses could be derived from
    parsing the WG.

It would be easy enough to display a small link representing each
choice of format.

I thought (similar to what you say) it's do-able to generate all 
the formats from the content in one form updated by the maintainer(s).
I'd start with xml because I'm getting used to it :)

Allison